In this guide, I will show you how to produce bottled water in Nigeria and sell them in large commercial quantities. We have discus everything you will need to start this business ranging from capital, raw materials, machinery, NAFDAC and CAC registration and well as sales strategies.
Entrepreneurship has gradually become one of the major sources of income in Nigeria. We all like the idea of being our own boss and there are definitely various entrepreneurial ventures, one can consider if you are thinking of making an income from other means other than the regular 9-5 job system.One of these ventures is the production of bottled water, one might argue that there is huge competition on ground already but Nigeria as a country is increasing in the numbers by the day.
This ever-growing population automatically implies higher demand for the product. There is also presently a bill in the house seeking to ban the production of satchet water in some major cities in the country. The bill is considered due to the effects of pure water and other polythene bags on the environment. The points identified below would state the Basic and Essential materials you must have if you intend to start a bottling water business in Nigeria;
1. Capital: If you are considering starting up a bottled water company, you should have at least 1.8million naira as a start up capital. The high demand of water in schools, weddings, parties and various other social events is definitely a huge boost for your business and with proper management, you should recoup your capital in at least two years.
2. Bottle Supplier: This is very important because without bottles, you can’t package your water. You must ensure that you locate a bottle production company that is also a member of the International Bottled water association and endeavor to sign up with them. Vconnect can be a useful source in locating one of these companies.
3. Water source: Its trite that you try your possible best to locate a water source that would be able to provide water for a very long period of time. Your water source could be spring, mineral or even bore-hole. A friend of mine actually checks the source of water before he buys it so ensure you specify the source of water on the label as it gives an added advantage.
4. Storage tanks: They are very necessary because you would need them to store the water before you can eventually pump the water into the machines.
5. Water treatment machines: You must ensure that you purchase machines for water filtering, water treatment and sealers as your plant must use reverse osmosis, filtration and ozonator water treatment. The aforementioned has been stipulated by NAFDAC as the standard for all bottling water companies in the country.
6. Government approvals and Licensing: It is never advisable to begin the production or sales of your product without registering and getting the requisite approval from the national body in charge of this matters which is NAFDAC. Individuals already running bottled water companies disclosed that it would cost about 85,000 naira before you can be able to register with NAFDAC. However, in the alternative and if you wish to hasten the process, it would be advisable to work with agents of NAFDAC who would demand for a whooping sum of about 350,000 and would ensure that even the inspection of your plant goes free and without a hitch. In order to allay your fears, they are recognized by NAFDAC. The approval gotten is renewable every five years.
7. Administrative offices: You would also need to have an office or offices where the administrative arm of the business would be run effectively.
8. Machines: Bottle water filter and washer, filler and packaging Machines are necessary machines which you also would need to purchase.
9. Alternate Power Supply: This is definitely a very important equipment you would need to consider, we are all aware of the power situation in the country, it is therefore necessary you have other means of power supply like Generators, Inverter or Solar panels.
10. Delivery Trucks: For effective distribution of your finished products, it would be necessary to obtain more than one truck especially if you are intending to cover a wide area and not limit yourself to particular areas.
11. Land: You must ensure you purchase or lease a land with at least 1,800 square meters for your plant.
12. Register your business with C.A.C: It is imperative that you register your business or your company with Corporate Affairs Commission(C.A.C). You do not want to run a business that can’t be identified at the C.A.C. To separate your brand from others and give it its uniqueness, its advisable you register with C.A.C.
13. Build a factory or a warehouse: After you have obtained the land to use as your base of operations. The building of your factory or warehouse is the next step. After all these has been completed, you can now buy and install your water bottling plant.
Everything highlighted above are quite essential if you are considering starting up a bottling water business in Nigeria.
Another key aspect one should consider is the Target market which you intend to sell your products. Before you think about production of the bottled water, its necessary that you study and evaluate your environment completely for the acceptability of such a business in the environment.
The following places are the commonest areas you should consider if you are starting up a bottled water company; A sports vicinity or recreational facility, Schools and Universities, Markets, Hotels or Guest Houses, Corporate establishments, Markets, Shopping Malls and Supermarkets, Restaurants and Fast Food centers, Bars,Clubs and Drinking joints.
I hope my points are useful to you as you embark on your next entrepreneurial venture, Good luck.