The Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (ABU) is one known federal government institution of higher learning in Nigeria. ABU offers educational programmes ranging from diploma, certificate courses, undergraduate to postgraduate programmes. On this page you will see everything you need to know about ABU; about, history, mandate/act, objectives/roles, current leadership, departments and units, achievements, challenges, and contact details. Here, you will also see all related news and the latest updates about ABU. Jamb form
Ahmadu Bello University Zaria is a federal government research university in Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria. ABU was founded on 4 October 1962, as the University of Northern Nigeria. The university operates two campuses: Samaru and Kongo in Zaria. Waec Result
Read Also: Top 10 Universities To Study Computer Software Engineering In Nigeria
Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) is a federal government research university located in Zaria, Kaduna State. ABU was founded on October 4, 1962, as the University of Northern Nigeria. Npower Recruitment
The university operates three main campuses: Samaru and Kongo in Zaria, and the School of Basic Studies in Funtua. The Samaru campus houses the administrative offices, sciences, social sciences, arts and languages, education, environmental design, engineering, medical sciences agricultural sciences, and research facilities. The Kongo campus hosts the Faculties of Law and Administration. The Faculty of Administration consists of Accounting, Business Administration, Local Government and Development Studies, and Public Administration Departments. Additionally, the university is responsible for a variety of other institutions and programs at other locations.
The university is named after the Sardauna of Sokoto, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, the first premier of Northern Nigeria. How to check data usage on android
The university runs a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate programs (and offers associate degrees and vocational and remedial programs). The university has a large medical program with its own A.B.U. Teaching Hospital, one of the largest teaching hospitals in Nigeria and Africa. Dollar to Naira Rate
Read Also: 10 Problems of Nigeria Universities and Possible Solutions
ABU mission statement includes “to advance the frontiers of learning and break new grounds, through teaching, research and the dissemination of knowledge of the highest quality..”
Read Also: Top 10 Cheapest Private Universities in Nigeria
Down below we have provided a list of current leaders and their positions at ABU.
1. Professor Abba Ali Tijjani is the directorate of the Academic Planning and Monitoring department of Mathematics (DAPM). Came into office on 15th October 2019.
2. Professor Muhammad Lawal Amin is the Director Institute of Education at the Department of African Languages and Cultures. Was appointed on 15th October 2019.
3. Professor Abdullahi J. Randawa is the Provost at the College of Medical Sciences. Was appointed into office on 15th October 2019.
4. Professor Haruna I. Mukhtar is the Dean Faculty of Basic Clinical Sciences in the department of Haematology and Blood Transfusion. Was appointed into office on 15th October 2019.
5. Dr. Aisha Mahmoud Hamman is in the Department of Accounting and a Deputy Director at the Centre for Entrepreneurship Development/International Centre of Excellence in Rural Finance and Entrepreneurship (ICERFE). She was appointed into office on the 15th of October 2019.
6. Professor Mohammed K. Aliyu is in the Department of Archaeology and also a Director for University Advancement. Appointed on 15th October 2019.
7. Dr. Oladigbolu K. Kabir is in charge of the Department of Ophthalmology and also the Head Department of Ophthalmology. Appointed into office on 15th September 2019.
Read Also: Top 100 Best State Universities in Nigeria – Nigerian University Ranking
8. Professor Ajike S. Olusegun in charge of the Department of Dental Surgery and Head of Department of Dental SurgeryApponted on 30th October 2019.
9. Professor Abdullahi Mohammed Kolo is in charge of the National Animal Production Research Institute and a Director for the National Animal Production Research Institute (NAPRI). The appointment was on 15th October 2019.
10. Dr. Ibrahim Muhammad Zaria is in charge of the Department of Radiography and the Head of the Department of Radiology. Appointed on 15th October 2019.
11. Dr. Clement Musa Gonah is in charge of the Department of Glass and Silicate Technology and Head in the Department of Glass and Silicate Technology. Came into office on 13th October 2019.
12. Dr. Maitama M. Inuwa controls the Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery and is also the Head of the Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery on 15th September 2019.
13. Professor Mohammad Faguji Ishiyaku controls the Department of Plant Science and the Director Institute for Agricultural Research (IAR). Was appointed on 15th October 2019.
14. Dr. Aminu Ladan Sharehu controls the Department of Public Administration and is a Director at the Distance Learning Centre (DLC). Amino came into office on 15th October 2019.
15. Dr. Usman Ado Kibon is in charge of the Department of Geography. Also a Director at the Centre for Disaster Risk Management and Development Studies (CDRM&DS). The appointment was on 15th October 2019.
16. Professor Umaru Adamu Danbatta is in charge of the Department of Geology. Umaru is also the Deputy Director Directorate of Academic Planning and Monitoring. Was appointed into office on 15th October 2019.
17. Dr. Ahmad Bello controls the Department of Accounting and a Director ABU Hotels. Appointed on the 15th October 2019.
18. Dr. Abubakar Sule Sani controls the Department of Archaeology and is a Deputy Director of Arewa House. Appointed on the 15th October 2019.
Read Also: List of 99 Private Universities in Nigeria and their Dates of Establishment
19. Dr. Audu Ishaq Aveka controls the Department of Psychiatry and is a Head at the Department of Psychiatry. Appointed on 30th October 2019
20. Professor Ita O. Bassey Ewa controls the Centre for Energy Research and Training Director Centre for Energy Research and Training (CERT). Appointed on 15th October 2019
21. Professor Shehu Abubakar Akuyam controls the Department of Chemical Pathology Dean Faculty of Allied Health Sciences on 15th October 2019
22. Professor Aliyu Mohammed controls the Department of Human Physiology Dean Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences on 15th October 2019.
23. Professor Sunday S. Adebisi controls the Department of Human Anatomy and Deputy Dean Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences on 15th October 2019.
24. Professor Modupeola O. A. Samaila in charge of the Department of Pathology. Deputy and Dean Faculty of Basic Clinical Sciences on 15th October 2019.
25. Professor A. A. Sekoni NAPRI Head (Central Laboratory) National Animal Production Research Institute (NAPRI) on 15th October 2019
26. Dr. Francis O. Abeke NAPRI Programme Leader (Biotechnology) National Animal Production Research Institute (NAPRI) on 15th October 2019
27. Professor C. U. Osuhor NAPRI Programme Leader (Small Ruminant Research Programme) National Animal Production Research Institute (NAPRI) on 15th October 2019.
Read Also: List of 45 Federal Universities in Nigeria and Dates of Establishment
28. Professor Bartholomew Ifeanyi Nwagu NAPRI Programme Leader (Poultry Research Programme) National Animal Production Research Institute (NAPRI) on 15th October 2019.
29. Professor Hussaina Makun NAPRI is the Assistant Director (Research) National Animal Production Research Institute (NAPRI) appointed on 15th October 2019
30. Dr. Sadiq Musa Otaru NAPRI is the Deputy Director National Animal Production Research Institute (NAPRI) appointed on 15th October 2019
31. Dr. Ibrahim Muhammad Zaria Department of Radiology and Head Department of Radiology. The appointment was on 23rd September 2019.
32. Dr. Ibrahim Muhammad Zaria Department of Radiography is the Head of Department of Medical Radiography
Below are some of the faculties at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (ABU).
Read Also: List of Professional Courses in Nigerian Universities
Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (ABU) has some remarkable achievements that must be commended. Some of those achievements include:-
1. ABU is seen to be remarkable among Nigeria’s universities for the breadth and national character of its student recruitment
2. The possibility of sending some senior academic staff to overseas institutions to complete advanced degrees as of the early 1970s.
3. The development of Nigerian staffing (and especially of the northern-origin teaching staff) as of 1975.
4. The ability to recruit the best graduates from various departments and sections of the school to be gainfully employed as lectures/staff of the school.
5. ABU can claim to be the largest and the most extensive of universities in Sub-Saharan Africa. Currently, it covers a land area of 7,000 hectares and encompasses 12 academic faculties, a postgraduate school, and 82 academic departments.
6. The university has nurtured two new institutions: Bayero University Kano and the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University of Technology, Bauchi. Some 27 tertiary institutions made up of colleges of education, polytechnics, and schools of basic or preliminary studies are affiliated with it.
Read Also: History of Universities in Nigeria and dates of their establishment
Here are some of the challenges that Bayero University Kano is passing through.
1. The problem of national political instability:
Over the years, ABU has been affected by national political instability. The very fact of ABU’s strikingly “national character” (in drawing students and staff from an unusually broad range of Nigeria’s regional, ethnic and religious communities) may incline the institution to internal instability. Certainly, ABU has been among Nigeria’s universities that have suffered most from closures.
2. The Problem of Insecurity:
In May 1986 the security forces killed around 20 demonstrators and bystanders at ABU in order to prevent a peaceful demonstration against the implementation of the Structural Adjustment Programme. And due to the presence of insecurity in the region, a lot of candidates have been made a rethink on making the institution their first choice for admission in JAMB.
3. Ethnical Problem:
ABU was seriously affected by the coups and the anti-Igbo riots of 1966.
ABU Contact Details
Below are the full list of contact details Amadu Bello University.
Ahmadu Bello University,
Samaru Campus, Zaria,
Kaduna State, Nigeria
COMPLAINTS, QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS?
THE E-MAIL ADDRESSES TO SEND YOUR COMPLAINTS, QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS TO ARE LISTED BELOW. THANK YOU. Jamb Result
UG Admissions: email@example.com
PG Admissions: firstname.lastname@example.org
UG Certificates: email@example.com
PG Certificates: firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Matters: email@example.com
Security Matters: firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary Matters: email@example.com
Academic Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Complaints: email@example.com
Check and confirm: How Much is Dollar to Naria Today
InfoGuide Store Dismiss