www.buk.edu.ng | Bayero University Kano : BUK
Bayero University, Kano (BUK) is one of the most popular federal government tertiary institutions in Nigeria. Their main role is to conduct the BUK Post UTME screening exercise for candidates to participate and gain admission to study in the school. On this page you will see everything you need to know about BUK; about, history, mandate/act, objectives/roles, current leadership, departments and units, achievements, challenges, and contact details. Here, you will also see all related news and the latest updates about BUK.
Bayero University Kano is a university situated in Kano, Kano State, Nigeria. It was founded in 1975 when it was renamed from Bayero University College and upgraded from university college to university. It is the first university in Kano State. Information Guides in Nigeria
Brief History of BUK
The seed of Bayero University Kano was the Ahmadu Bello College set up in 1960, located within the School for Arabic Studies (SAS), in the old city of Kano. With the establishment of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, in 1962, it was renamed Abdullahi Bayero College. In 1964 it moved to a temporary site at the old Kano Airport Hotel, admitting its first set of ten undergraduate students for a B.A. degree programme of Ahmadu Bello University.
This first set graduated in 1966 but it continued as a faculty of ABU until 1980. Before then the temporary site had attracted hostile fire during the civil war and had to move to its permanent site (present old campus) in the vicinity of Kabuga and Dukawuya gates on the Kano-Gwarzo road. The next phase of development occurred in 1975 when Abdullahi Bayero College was raised to the status of a University College with the right to award degrees on behalf of Ahmadu Bello University and was renamed Abdullahi Bayero University College, with its own Governing Council. Baby Born During Afghan Evacuation Named after U.S. aircraft
All University Colleges in the country were raised to the status of full-fledged universities in 1977 by the Federal Government and Abdullahi Bayero University College became Bayero University, Kano (BUK) (backed by the promulgation of BUK Decree no 79 of 1979). Dr. Mahmud Tukur, the Principal of the University College became its pioneer Vice-Chancellor (1977-78) leading the team that laid the foundation and initiated the process that gave rise to the present permanent site and the shape of the university as we know it today. Jamb form
Read Also: 7 Tips Make First Class Degree In Nigerian Universities
The following had all been Vice-Chancellors of Bayero University Kano after Dr. Mahmud Tukur: Prof. James O.C. Ezeilo (1978- 79), Prof. Ibrahim H. Umar (1979-86), Prof. Dandatti Abdulkadir (1986-91), Prof. M. S. Zahraddeen (1991-95), Prof. B.B. Dambatta (1995-99), Prof. Musa Abdullahi (1999-2004), Prof. Danjuma A. Maiwada (Acting VC, 2004- 05), and Prof. Attahiru M. Jega (2005-July 2010), Prof. A. A Rasheed (2010 to 2015), Prof. Yahuza Bello (2015 to 2020), Prof. Sagir Adamu Abbas (2020 to date). Waec Result
Bayero University Kano mandate is enshrined in the Vision and Mission of the institution. The mandates are as follows. FCFMT Part-time Admission Form 2020/2021 is Out
To lead in research and education in Africa
Commitment to addressing African Development challenges through cutting-edge research, knowledge transfer, and training of high-quality graduates.
6 Objectives/Roles OF BUK
The below are the 6 objectives/roles of BUK.
- Provide facilities for teaching, research, and training in the field of Biotechnology to students particularly at the MSc and PhD levels in areas including biocatalyst, interferon, novel enzymes, antibiotics, natural product, metabolic engineering, bio-fertilizer etc
- Provide training to personnel in public and private sectors towards the application of science and engineering principles to processing, development, design, and analysis of compounds/materials useful to agriculture, healthcare and environment. Npower Recruitment
- Establish linkages in the area of research with relevant bodies, agencies, and institutions across the globe.
- To move forward the frontiers of human knowledge by providing excellent undergraduate, postgraduate and professional educational programmes to produce high-quality human resources required for the promotion of the development of the host community, the nation, Africa, and beyond.
- To further develop the spirit of enquiry in the postgraduate students through training in research in an atmosphere of intellectual independence and individual creativity combined with a strong sense of teamwork.
- To train and produce engineers with the required qualities and capabilities to meet the increasing need for professional engineers in Nigeria.
List of Faculties and Departments in BUK
We have listed the full list of faculties and departments in BUK. See the list below.
College of Health Science
Allied Health Sciences
Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Department of Nursing
- Department of Physiotherapy
- Department of Radiography
- Department of Optometry
Read Also: PTDF Scholarship For Students in Nigerian Federal Universities
Basic Medical Sciences
- Department of Anatomy
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Anesthesiology
- Department of Chemical Pathology
- Department of Clinical Pharmacology
- Department of Community Medicine
- Department of Haematology
- Department of Medical Microbiology & Parasitology
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Department of Ophthalmology
- Department of Otolaryngology
- Department of Pediatrics
- Department of Psychiatry
- Department of Radiology
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Department of Oral Diagnostic Surgery
- Department of Preventive Dentistry
- Department of Restorative Dentistry
- Department of Child Dental Health
- Department of Craniofacial Orthodontics
- Department of Agricultural Economics & Extension
- Department of Agronomy
- Department of Animal Science
- Department of Crop Protection
- Department of Soil Science
Arts and Islamic Studies
- Department of Arabic
- Department of English
- Department of Foreign Languages
- Department of History
- Department of Islamic Studies and shari’a
- Department of Linguistics
- Department of Nigerian Languages
- Department of Theater & Film Studies
Read Also: Top 100 Best State Universities in Nigeria – 2021 Nigerian University Ranking
Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Environmental Management
- Department of Geography
- Department of Geology
- Department of Urban & Regional Planning
Computer Science and Information Technology
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Software Engineering
- Department of Adult Education
- Department of Education
- Department of Library & Information Science
- Department of Physical & Health Education
- Department of Science & Technical Education
- Department of Special Education
- Department of Agricultural Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Mechatronics Engineering
- Department of Chemical & Petroleum Engineering
- Department of Private & Commercial Law
- Department of Public Law
- Department of Islamic Law
- Department of Biological Science
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Mathematical Science
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Physics
- Department of Plant Biology
Social and Management Sciences
- Department of Accounting
- Department of Banking & Finance
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Economics
- Department of Mass Communication
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Sociology
Read Also: List of 53 State Universities in Nigeria and Dates of Establishment
Notable Achievements of BUK
Bayero University Kano has some achievements that must be applauded for. Those achievements include.
One of the biggest breakthroughs by the University in the fight against Covid-19 is the establishment of molecular test laboratory at the Centre for Infectious Diseases Research (CIDR) which the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) described as world-class owing to the state-of-the-art facilities installed to carry out the task during the commissioning ceremony on Friday, 1st May 2020. Dollar to Naira Rate
Center For Dryland Agriculture Competed and Won a Recognition as African Centre of Excellence in Dryland Agriculture. Earning a Grant of 8 million US Dollars. Dean of Dentistry was Elected the President of the Committee of Deans of Dentistry of Nigerian University. He was also Elected as the General Secretary of League of Dentistry Deans of African university at their 2014 Conference in Rabat, Morocco
BUK is One of the Founding Members of Oxonia International University Network, Established in 2013 at St. Catherine’s College of Oxford University. The Former Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Abubakar Rasheed was elected Associate Fellow and President of Oxonia International University Network. Prof. Abubakar Rasheed was also Elected Alternate Chairman of the Committee of Vice-Chancellor (CVC) and that of the Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities (AVCNU) with 129 member-universities.
BUK Re-elected into the Executive Committee of the Federation of Universities in the Islamic World (FUIW). Former Head of Department of Agric Economics & Extension, Appointed Vice-Chancellor, Kano State University of Science and Technology, Wudil. Dr Nasir Isa Fagge, was Re-Elected to Continue as The President of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
Read Also: List of 99 Private Universities in Nigeria and their Dates of Establishment
Challenges facing BUK
Despite the achievement recorded by Bayero University, Kano. The institution has faced some challenges as well and they are putting measures in place to cub it. See some of the challenges below.
- Worried about the precarious state of the security situation in the country, African Council for Communication Education (ACCE), urged the government to deploy necessary measures to arrest the situation.
An Associate Professor of Sociology with Bayero University, Kano, MaiKano Madaki, has decried the growing rate of narcotics and psychotropic substance abuse in Nigeria despite several policies and legal frameworks initiated to combat the menace. Bayero University is being faced with this problem and they are trying their best to bring it to the barest minimum.
BUK Contact Details
- PHONE NUMBER
Check and Confirm: How much is Dollar to Naira Today