The University of Jos (UNIJOS) is one of the most popular federal government universities in Nigeria. Their main role is to conduct the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Exams (UTME) for students seeking admission into institutions of higher learning in Nigeria. On this page you will see everything you need to know about JAMBUNIJOS; about, history, mandate/act, objectives/roles, current leadership, departments and units, achievements, challenges, and contact details. Here, you will also see all related news and latest updates about JAMB UNIJOS. How to Start Cryptocurrency Trading In Nigeria
What became the University of Jos was established in November 1971 from the satellite campus of the University of Ibadan. The first students were admitted in January 1972 as pre-degree students and the first Bachelor of Arts degree program begun in October 1973. The University of Jos started as a Campus of the University of Ibadan in November 1971, with the appointment of Professor E. A. Ayandele as its first Acting Principal. Its first home was the present Township campus of the University which is located along Murtala Mohammed way, Jos. Its first students admitted in January 1972 were pre-degree students. Degree courses in Arts were introduced in October 1973 and in Science and Education the following year. The same year, the Bauchi Road Campus which then accommodated only the Faculties of Natural, environmental, Medical Sciences, and Education was acquired.
The University of Jos started as a Campus of the University of Ibadan in November, 1971, with the appointment of Professor E. A. Ayandele as its first Acting Principal. Its first home was the present Township campus of the University which is located along Murtala Mohammed way, Jos. Its first students admitted in January, 1972 were pre-degree students. Degree courses in Arts were introduced in October 1973 and in Science and Education the following year. The same year, the Bauchi Road Campus which then accommodated only the Faculties of Natural, environmental, Medical Sciences and Education was acquired. University of Jos (UNIJOS)
Read Also: PTDF Scholarship For Students in Nigerian Federal Universities
In October 1975, the then Military Government announced the establishment of seven new Universities and University Colleges including the University of Jos. Professor Gilbert Onuaguluchi was appointed its first Vice-Chancellor and he was in office from October 1975 – 1978. He was succeeded by Professor Emmanuel U. Emovon from 1st October 1978 – 1985. Professor Ochapa C. Onazi succeeded Professor Emovon. Professor Onazi served from 1st October 1985 – 1989 as the 3rd substantive Vice-Chancellor. The 4th substantive Vice-Chancellor is Professor M. Para Mallum who was in office from 1st October 1989 – 1993. Since then, the University has made enormous progress. By 1993, a new system for the appointment of Vice-Chancellors in Nigerian Universities was introduced. There was therefore a delay in the appointment of a new Vice-Chancellor in 1993.
UNIJOS mandate is embodied in the vision and mission statement of the institution. those statements can be seen below. Achievers University Guidelines for Resumption of Academic Activities
To be rated among the best faculties of education in Nigeria.
The Faculty of Education normally offers a four-year full-time programme leading to the Bachelor of Arts, Science and Special Education degrees. The objectives for these degree programmes are derived from the National Policy on Education. Information Guides in Nigeria
Read Also: Top 100 Best State Universities in Nigeria – Nigerian University Ranking
Below are the objectives of UNIJOS.
To produce graduates who have:
Read Also: History of Universities in Nigeria and dates of their establishment
Below are the lists of UNIJOS faculties
1 Faculty of Agriculture Jamb form
2 Faculty of Arts
3 Faculty of Education
4 Faculty of Engineering
5 Faculty of Environmental Sciences
6 Faculty of Law
7 Faculty of Management Sciences
8 Faculty of Natural Sciences
9 Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
10 Faculty of Social Sciences
11 Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
12 Faculty of Dental Sciences
13 Faculty of Clinical Sciences
14 Faculty of Health Sciences & Technology
15 Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
Read Also: List of 99 Private Universities in Nigeria and their Dates of Establishment
Below are some of the achievements of the university Waec Result
1. Within the past years, the University Administration has strengthened the capacity of its Directorate of Academic Planning and Management Directorate in carrying out its core function of coordinating, streamlining, monitoring and evaluating the Academic development processes in the University thereby ensuring that the assessment exercises produced positive outcomes.
2. Of the Fifteen (15) programmes being run by the University that require accreditation from Professional Bodies, Ten (10) have secured Full Accreditation status. Three (3) programmes, Quantity Surveying, Veterinary Medicine and Engineering are still considered relatively new and as such, are yet to be assessed by their Professional Bodies. The Estate Management programme has secured Special Interim Accreditation status which will subsist for four (4) years. Again, none of our Professional programmes has been denied accreditation.
Read Also: List of 53 State Universities in Nigeria and Dates of Establishment
3. JAMB ranked the University of Jos as the Fourth (4th) best among Nigerian Tertiary Institutions that had admitted candidates from all the 36 States and FCT following the 2018 admissions exercise.
4. Administration has been able to complete the construction and furnishing of the Faculty of Management Sciences and Faculty of Engineering, completion and furnishing of the Faculty of Social Sciences including a 1000 capacity Lecture Hall through the intervention of the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETfund). Npower Recruitment
5. the rehabilitation and furnishing of the Central Library Complex, Naraguta Campus; rehabilitation of the ICT Complex II, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Laboratories for the Department of Plant Science and Biotechnology, Vice-Chancellors Residence, Department of Physical and Health Education among many others.
6. the University has achieved inroads into not only being an ICT-driven institution but also becoming an ICT innovation hub with huge investment in ICT infrastructure and deployment of networking capabilities required for building a community of solution providers. Dollar to Naira Rate
Read Also: List of Professional Courses in Nigerian Universities
Despite the numerous achievements and success stories of this school, yet they have been faced with some other great challenges such as:
2. Issues of exams malpractice
3.Issues of indecent dressing
University of Jos,
Check and confirm: How Much is Dollar to Naria Today