How to Immigrate to Canada as an International Student
Immigrate to Canada as an International Student – In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide on how to immigrate to Canada as an international student. Whether you are considering pursuing higher education or seeking a new life in Canada, this article will equip you with the necessary knowledge to make an informed decision and achieve your goals.Information Guide Nigeria
Canada is a sought-after destination for international students seeking a world-class education and a high quality of life. With its welcoming and diverse environment, many international students also view Canada as a pathway to permanent residency and citizenship.How to Immigrate to Canada as an International Student
👉 Relocate to Canada Today!Live, Study and Work in Canada. No Payment is Required! Hurry Now click here to Apply >> Immigrate to Canada
Read Also: How to Immigrate to Canada as an Unskilled Worker
What is a study permit?
As per Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), a study permit is a document that grants foreign nationals permission to study at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.
It is essential to note that a study permit is not a visa and does not allow entry into Canada. You may require an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa to enter Canada.
Once your study permit application is approved, the Government will issue a study permit approval letter along with an entry visa (if required) in your passport, authorizing your travel to Canada. 10 best Mouka foams and their prices in Nigeria
Typically, a study permit is valid for the duration of your study program, along with an additional 90 days to prepare to leave Canada or apply for a permit extension. However, some exceptions apply to this guideline. For instance, if you receive a conditional acceptance, your permit will be valid for the length of those courses plus one year, after which you must apply to extend your stay as a student.
If you fail to complete your courses before the expiry date on your permit, you must apply to extend your stay as a student. Conversely, if you finish your studies earlier, your permit will no longer be valid 90 days after completing your studies.
One critical condition of your study permit is that you must actively pursue your studies in Canada. In case you take a leave of absence from your program, your study permit will become invalid 150 days after the date of your leave, irrespective of the permit’s expiry date. If you fail to resume your studies within 150 days, you must either apply to amend your status in Canada or leave the country beforehand.
Preparing to apply for a student permit
When applying for a post-secondary program in Canada, it is crucial to keep in mind the following considerations:
👉 Relocate to Canada Today!Live, Study and Work in Canada. No Payment is Required! Hurry Now click here to Apply >> Immigrate to Canada
- Timelines: It is advisable to initiate the application process for a post-secondary program at least a year in advance. This allows sufficient time for research and preparation for the application process.
- Identifying a program and school: To obtain a study permit, it is essential to apply to a designated learning institution (DLI). Each province and territory manage Canada’s education system, and post-secondary schools in Canada include universities, colleges, private career colleges, and vocational and technical schools. Each school has its own application rules and selection criteria. For detailed information on various study programs, costs, and tips about student life, one may refer to EduCanada. To learn more about the education system in each province and territory, the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) can be a helpful resource.
- Cost of living and studying: Tuition fees constitute a significant cost of overseas education, but it is important to budget for other expenses such as books, housing, food, clothing, travel, and transportation. The cost of education varies across Canadian provinces. It is important to note that the Government of Canada does not provide health insurance for foreign students, so private insurance may need to be budgeted separately.
By considering these factors, prospective international students can make informed decisions and prepare for a successful study experience in Canada.
Read Also: Immigrate to Canada as a Biologist
How to apply for a study permit: A step-by-step guide
Step 1: Register with a Designated
Learning Institution (DLI) To obtain a study permit, you must have an acceptance letter from a DLI, a school authorized by a provincial or territorial government to admit international students. All primary and secondary schools in Canada are considered DLIs.
If you plan to attend a post-secondary institution, make sure it is on the list. When a school accepts you, it will give you an acceptance letter that you will need when applying for a study permit. This letter serves as proof of acceptance.
Step 2: Prepare Your Documents
Gathering all necessary documents in advance will ensure that you are well-prepared for a successful application. Here are some documents you will need when applying for a study permit:
- Proof of acceptance: You may include your letter of acceptance in your study permit application as an original or an electronic copy.
- Proof of identity: You and any family members accompanying you to Canada must have valid passports or travel documents.
- Proof of financial support: When applying, you must demonstrate that you have enough money to pay for your international student tuition and support yourself and any accompanying family members while in Canada. You can provide evidence of funds using documents such as:15 Best Photochromic Glass and their Prices in Nigeria
- Proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if you transferred money to Canada.
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution.
- Proof of a student or educational loan from a bank.
- Your bank statements for the past four months.
- A bank draft that can be converted to CAD.
- Proof that you paid tuition and housing fees.
- A letter from the person or school that is providing you with money.
- Proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.
Before submitting your proof of funds, be sure to check the minimum amount required to support yourself as a student (and any accompanying family members).
Note: If you pay a tuition deposit before submitting your study permit application, check with your institution about their refund policies. In some cases, tuition deposits are non-refundable, even if a study permit is denied.NYSC Portal
Depending on your circumstances, other documents you may need to provide include:
- A letter of explanation: This letter helps the visa officer understand your goals and ambitions. It explains why you want to study in Canada, how the program will help advance your career goals, and demonstrates your understanding of your responsibilities as a student.
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ): If you plan to study in Quebec, you need a CAQ issued by the Gouvernement du Québec. Your school can provide you with information on how to apply for the CAQ.
- Custodian declaration (for minors only): If you are a little studying in Canada, you will require a custodian, and you must include the Custodianship Declaration form with your application. It has two pages that must be notarized (certified by a notary) and included with your study permit application.
- Medical examination (if required): You may need a medical exam if you plan to come to Canada. This is to ensure that you are medically okay.
- Police certificate (if required): You may need to obtain a police certificate when applying as a student. This is to verify that you do not have a criminal record and are not inadmissible to Canada. You and any family member 18 or older may need to obtain a police certificate, depending on the program you are applying to.
- Other documents: All documents listed and specified on the document checklist provided by your local visa office must be included in your application.
Read Also: How to Immigrate to Canada as a Refugee
Step 3: Applying for a student permit
When applying for a student permit, you have the option to either apply online or submit a paper-based application via mail or courier. Detailed instructions on how to send your application can be found on the Canadian government website, depending on your location. It is essential to check the study permit application processing times for your area of residence online.105 Good Morning My Love Messages
As processing times tend to increase during the summer months, it is recommended that students apply early to ensure they can travel to Canada prior to the start of their program. During the processing of your application, you will usually need to provide biometrics, which can be done within 30 days after receiving a biometrics request letter and paying the biometrics fee.
Processing of your application will not begin until the biometrics data is provided. You may also be asked to provide medical exams and police certificates, which can be provided upfront when submitting your application to avoid delays.
Step 4: Preparing for the arrival
If your student permit application is approved, you will receive a letter of introduction, which is not your study permit but a document that you need to show to an officer upon arrival in Canada.
You will also receive an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or temporary resident visa (TRV) if required. In the case of a TRV, the Government will ask for your passport for visa stamping before issuing your letter of introduction.
Upon arrival in Canada, a border services officer will ask to see your passport or travel documents, as well as your letter of introduction, a copy of your valid letter of acceptance from your school, proof of funds to support yourself during your stay in Canada, and any other documents that the visa office told you to bring.
The officer will ask you a few questions and verify that you meet the requirements to enter Canada, including proving that you’ll leave at the end of your stay. If the officer is satisfied with the documents, they will issue your study permit document and may stamp your passport, indicating how long you can stay in Canada.
It is essential to check the details of your study permit while still at the airport and ensure that it was issued correctly. If there are any errors, bring them to the attention of the border services officer so they can be corrected on the spot. Ensure that you understand all the conditions listed on your study permit so that you can comply with your student status.
Read Also: How to Immigrate to Canada as a Pharmacist
Working while studying in Canada
It is typical for international students to seek employment to cover living expenses and gain experience while studying. The following are ways that students commonly look for employment:200 Romantic Love Message For Her
On-campus / Off-campus International students enrolled in a program for at least six months leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate may start working once their program begins if their study permit authorizes on-campus or off-campus work.
It is crucial to understand the work authorization granted by your study permit to avoid violating its conditions and impacting your Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) eligibility. In case of any confusion, you should seek advice from an authorized immigration representative.
Internship or Co-op
Students can apply for off-campus internships or co-op positions if their program requires work experience as part of the curriculum. Before starting work, a co-op work permit must authorize the student’s employment.
Read Also: How to Immigrate to Canada as a British Citizen
Finding employment after graduation
International graduates have the option to apply for a work permit upon completion of their program of study.
There are various types of work permits available, and the first step is to determine which one is most suitable for you:
- Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP): If you complete a study program that’s at least 8 months but less than two years long, you may be eligible for a PGWP that’s equivalent to the length of your program. For a program that’s more than two years long, you may qualify for a three-year work permit. Programs that are less than eight months long or those that graduate from a private career college does not qualify for a PGWP. To be eligible for the PGWP, students must generally maintain full-time student status and comply with off-campus work restrictions. Before enrolling in a program, you should confirm with your institution if your program is eligible for participation in the PGWP program.
- Open work permit: This type allows you to work for any employer in Canada except for restricted occupations.JAMB Portal
- Employer-specific work permits: These work permits allow you to work for a specific employer according to the terms, conditions, and restrictions listed on the permit.
On February 12, 2021, IRCC announced that international students who complete their studies online outside of Canada will be eligible for a future PGWP. These apply to all international students who:
- Are enrolled in a PGWP-eligible program
- Began, or will begin, a program in any semester from spring 2020 to fall 2021, or whose program was already in progress in March 2020
- Have a study permit or approval for a study permit, or applied for a study permit prior to starting their program and are eventually approved
- Meet all other PGWP criteria
Check JAMB RESULT
Check and Confirm: How much is Dollar to Naira
Immigrate to Canada Via Job Offer!
Get latest Jobs in Canada for foreigners with visa sponsorship 2023 and how to apply. Don't miss this opportunity that can help you relocate to Canada with your family.
Click here to Subscribe
👍Advertise your business on InfoGuideNigeria.com!From just N9,999 per month, you can advertise your products and services to over 1,500,000 monthly users on our website. Click here to read more.
🤑 Make Money now!👉 Make money writing for us. Apply for Freelance writing jobs in Nigeria.
👉 Make Money as InfoGuideNigeria Advertising Agents, read more here