If you’ve been nursing the dream of joining the Nigerian Army but don’t know how to go about it, then this article is for you. We will be listing all that you need to know to be able to make an informed decision towards actualising your desire of being enlisted in the Nigerian Army.
The Nigerian Army is an arm of the Nigerian Armed Forces (other arms include The Navy and The Airforce). It is also the largest part of the Nigerian Armed Forces, with over 100,000 trained personnel, and they normally recruit new personnel every year.
There are different ways by which one can be enlisted into the Army. You could be enlisted into regular commission after completing your five year course at the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA), that is those that applied as non-tradesmen or non-tradeswomen, aged between 18 and 20, with a minimum of four credits in not more than two sittings in either WASSCE, GCE, NECO or NABTEB, of which one of the credits must be in English.
You could also be enlisted through the tradesmen/women category, which requires that you be aged between 8 and 26, and have the required skill for the particular corp you are applying into. The academic qualification is usually a minimum of four credits in not more than two sittings in either WASSCE, GCE, NECO or NABTEB, and one of the credits must be in English. Those enlisted via this category become non-commissioned officers.
The most common method of recruitment into the Nigerian Army in recent times is through either the Short Service Course (SSC) or the Direct Short Service Course (DSSC). The SSC is for entry into the Short Service Commission, and is for those that are interested in field operations of the army, that is war, combat or peace-keeping operations. After being recruited into the SSC, you undergo 9 – 12 months training after which you will assume the rank of second lieutenant in the army.
The DSSC is a 9 month intensive military training for professionals drawn from various disciplines to serve as officers in the non combat services of the army, such as administrative functions. After training you will assume the rank of lieutenant and will be fielded into any of the corps where vacancies exist for your discipline.
NIGERIAN ARMY ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Entry Requirements exclusive to the DSSC includes the following:
- Graduates with professional qualifications must be duly registered by relevant bodies recognized by Nigerian Laws at the commencement of cadet training.
- Currently only academic credentials obtained from 2006 to date are being considered.
- All female applicants are advised to seek for commission into specialist corps e;g Medical, Legal Service or Army Public Relations.
- Must be a male or female between the ages of 22 and 35 years, while medical consultants be not more than 40 years of age at the time of application.
Entry Requirements exclusive to the SSC is includes the following:
- Currently only academic credentials obtained from 2011 to date are being considered.
- Must be a male or female between the ages of 24 and 29 years at the time of application.
For both the DSSC and SSC, all applicants must satisfy the following conditions:
- Be a Nigerian as defined in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Be medically, mentally and physically fit according to Nigerian Army standards.
- Be recommended by at least 2 recognizable referees who must attest to the applicant character and integrity. These could be by a Local Government Chairman/Secretary or an officer of the Armed Forces not below the rank of a Lieutenant Colonel and equivalent or an Assistant Commissioner of Police and above who must hail from the state of the applicant. Passport photographs of referees must be affixed to the letter of attestation.
- Candidates must submit a letter of Attestation from their former institutions.
- Measure at least 1.68m (for male) and 1.65m (for female) in height.
- Must not have been convicted by any court of law. Military personnel must be free from any disciplinary case (This is to be endorsed by the Commanding Officer/Commander).
- Possess at least a first degree with not less than Second Class Lower Division or HND of not less than Lower Credit from any recognized institution of learning.
- Possess valid birth certificate endorsed by the National Population Commission, Hospital or Local Government Council or valid age declaration.
- Possess a valid certificate of state of origin.
- Applicants (Less serving members of the Armed Forces) must possess NYSC discharge certificate or a valid exemption as the case may be.
- Candidates must present contact addresses and telephone numbers of parent/guardians and Next of Kin.
- Candidates must not have any body inscriptions or tattoos.
- Candidates must tender all original copies of educational certificates (primary to post secondary).
- Service personnel must present valid military identity cards and letters of recommendations by their Commanding Officers/Commanders. They must also present valid letter(s) of NA sponsorship in tertiary academic institutions. Additionally, they must have served for a period of not less than 5 years in the unit.
- Candidates must not be members of any cult/society/fraternity.
METHOD OF APPLICATION TO JOIN NIGERIAN ARMY
All applications are to be made online at the portal, and it is totally free, you do not need to buy any scratch cards or pay anything to anybody.
- Ensure all required documents are uploaded:
– passport photograph.
– educational certificates.
– evidence of membership of any professional body.
– certificate of state of origin.
– birth certificate or age declaration.
- Click on ‘Login’ to complete the application form.
- After registering successfully, you will receive an email notification containing your login details.
- From the Home Page, Select SSC or DSSC application, as the case may be.
- Read the Qualification Criteria.
- Open the portal, that is www.nigerianarmyms.ng, to create an account.
- Applicants must print out their online generated photo-slip on completion of their application. The first page is to be signed by a Court of Law and the second page is to be signed by the Local Government Chairman/Secretary or any military officer of the rank of Lieutenant Colonel or equivalent and above who hails from your state.
Successful applicants are required to present their printed photo-slip to the selection board during interview.
Do you need original SEO ready articles for your blog or website? If yes, hire Ifiokobong on Fiverr
. Expect simply the best from me.
Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
Ad:Learn Internet Business from Scratch: Register Here
. Training is 100%
FREE via email Only!
AD: Online Shopping - Electronics, Phones, Laptops - ShopDirect.NG
AD: Click here to Read Latest Nigerian News