Over the years the Nigerian Police Force has gotten an ignoble reputation due to the practice of some corrupt officials, but it is actually a noble profession in a sense, because of the role of protecting lives and properties they play in Nigeria. The Nigerian Police Force (NPF) is the principal law enforcement agency in Nigeria with a staff strength of about 371,800 personnel.
The Nigerian Police Force is a very large organization consisting of thirty-six (36) commands grouped into twelve (12) zones and seven (7) administrative organs. In recent times there has been plans to increase the size of the Force, consequently the Nigerian Police Force has been conducting a series of recruitment processes.
In this article I will try to enlighten those that are interested in getting a job in the Nigerian Police Force on all the requirements and qualifications that they might need to be eligible for employment in the force.
Requirements for Admission into the Nigerian Police Academy
One of the major ways new personnel are recruited by the Nigerian Police Force is through the Nigerian Police Academy. Graduates of the Academy, after completing the five year degree course of combined academic and Police training will be absorbed in the Force, and will assume the rank of Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP).
The requirements and qualifications for entry into the Academy are as follows:
- Interested applicants must be Nigerian citizens.
- Interested persons must be between 17 and 22 years of age.
- Interested applicants must have a height of not less than 1.67 Metres (5 Feet 6 Inches) if male, and 1.62 Metres (5 Feet 4 Inches) if female.
Male candidates must have an expanded chest size of not less than 91cm (36 Inches).
- All applicants must be free from any physical deformity or mental disability.
- Interested candidates must have obtained a minimum of six (6) credits at the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE) conducted by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC), the National Examinations Council (NECO) or the National Business and Technical Examinations Board (NABTEB) at not more than 2 sittings and including a credit pass in English Language and Mathematics as well as subjects relevant to the candidate’s chosen course of study in the Academy.
- Intending candidates must also obtain satisfactory scores in both the written examination and the interview and must pass physical and psychological tests of fitness.
- Currently, SSCE statement of results or certificates relating to examinations taken before 2012 is not being accepted.
- Eligible candidates are to bring along to the examination venue their Acknowledgement Form, Examination Card, JAMB Result Slip and two Postcard size photographs (3.5×5 Inches) which should show only from the chest upwards. At the back of each of the two Postcard size photographs, the candidates must write their name, State of origin, examination centre and signature.
Courses leading to Bachelor’s degrees in the following disciplines are available in the Academy:
FACULTY OF HUMANITIES. BA in: English; Nigerian Languages & Linguistics; History and International Studies.
FACULTY OF LAW: LLB
FACULTY OF SOCIAL AND MANAGEMENT SCIENCES: BSc in: Accounting; Economics; Management Sciences; Political Science; Psychology; and Sociology.
FACULTY OF SCIENCE: BSc in: Biochemistry; Biological Sciences; Chemistry; Computer Science; Forensic Science; Mathematics; and Physics.
Requirements and Qualifications for Police Service Commission Recruitment
The Police Service Commission recruits personnel (other than graduates of the Police Academy) into various positions as these positions become available or vacant. The different positions that are usually advertised by the Police Service Commission have different requirements and qualifications attached to them. These qualifications includes the following:
Cadet Assistant Superintendent of Police:
- Applicants must have a Bachelors Degree or High National Diploma (HND).
- You will be required to present your NYSC certificate.
- Applicants must be between the ages if 23 and 28.
Cadet Inspector of Police:
- Applicants must have a minimum of either Ordinary National Diploma (OND), Advanced Level (A Level), National Certificate of Education (NCE) or their equivalent.
- Applicants must have possession of at least five (5) credit level passes (including Mathematics and English Language) at O’Level.
- Applicants must be between the ages if 23 and 28.
- Applicants must possess an O’Level certificate or its equivalent with at least five credit level passes including Mathematics and English Language in not more than two sittings.
- Applicants must be between 19 and 25 year of age.
The Police Service Commission also requires all intending applicants to fulfill the following to be eligible for application:
- Applicants must have a functional/working email address.
- Applicants are advised to carefully choose the category that you are eligible for, this is because multiple applications would lead to disqualifications.
- Applicants must download a copy of the Guarantor’s Form. This is to be signed by verifiable references from any two (2) of the following: Traditional Rulers, Magistrate, Local Government Chairman, Heads of Educational Institutions attended, Career Civil Servant not below the rank of Grade Level 12, Police Officer not below the rank of CSP, or Military Officer not below the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
- Interested applicants must be 18 years and above (Both male and female).
- All applicants must be of Nigerian origin.
- All applicants should present a valid national identity card, voter’s card or a driving license.
- Make sure you enter your names properly just the same way it appears on your senior school certificate.
- Applicants should ensure that they enter their dates of birth correctly.
- Applicants must use a resent passport photograph when filling the police recruitment form online.
- To apply for a Specialist position, candidates must possess relevant certificates and/orcredentials in the required technical discipline.
- Any candidate who submits more than one application and/or gives false information would be disqualified and prosecuted.
Method of Application
All applications must be submitted online through the following steps:
- Login to either www.psc.gov.ng or www.npf.gov.ng and click on the careers tab;
- Carefully read the instructions and make sure you understand the qualiflcations required for the position you wish to apply for;
- Click on your desired position and make sure you follow the instructions carefully as you fill the form with accurate information;
- On successful completion and submission of your form, you would be notified by a Screen Confirmation that your Application was correctly submitted.
Information is Power!
Don’t miss any valuable information or opportunity that can change your life, business, family positively and permanently.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
✍️ Be Our Guest Publisher!
Do you have a press release, breaking news, or any other helpful information to share with our growing readers? If yes, send your article to 👉 email@example.com.
We will be glad to publish it if the information is useful to our audience.
This post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Facebook, Whatsapp, Telegram and Twitter. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)!
Make money writing for us. Apply for Freelance writing jobs in NIgeria.
Copyright Warning!Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment.
Proper acknowledgment includes, but not limited to (a) LINK BACK TO THE ARTICLE in the case of re-publication on online media, (b) Proper referencing in the case of usage in research, magazine, brochure, or academic purposes,.
All contents are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).
We publish all contents with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, please contact us at [firstname.lastname@example.org] to file a complaint and we will take necessary actions immediately.