Lagos State provides a lot of tourist attractions making it one of the most visited cities in the country. Lagos State has a population of around 15 million people and is said to have 5 million people pass through and visit the state daily.
Apart from economic reasons, a lot of people visit Lagos to take in its lovely scenery and enjoy themselves by taking advantage of social amenities available in the state.
Lagos State offers various tourist attractions that gives an insight into the historical and cultural values of the state and country while there are some that capture the natural essence of the state while others are available to have a good outing with a lot fun, excitement and relaxation.
Below are some notable tourist attractions in Lagos State that will ensure visitors to such venues have a great time. This does not mean this are the best places to visit in the state, if you do have other places that you feel are great tourist attractions you can go ahead and share with us.
1. NATIONAL MUSEUM LAGOS
The National museum in Lagos was founded and established in 1957. It is located in Onikan, Lagos. The museum is open every day to the public except on Sundays. The museum has a large arena which has the statues of gargantuan horses. The museum has a remembrance arcade which is dedicated to the memory of the country’s fallen heroes during the first and second war as well as the civil war in Nigeria.
The museum houses and showcases a wide range of carefully decorated calabashes from all over the country. Highlights of the museum include
- Display of various historical monuments and contemporary arts
- The museum has a small craft center where it sells handmade crafts and wood carvings to the public
- The museum also has a craft center where a lot of textile materials, batik cloth as well as wood carvings are stored.
- The museum has galleries that are stocked with only works of art like brasses from Nok Terracottas and Benin City.
- It also has a gallery that is solely for the works of carved ivory as well as royal crowns.
- Also at the museum you can see the car the late head of state General Murtala Mohammed was in when he was killed in 1976 with all the bullet holes.
2. NATIONAL ARTS THEATRE
The National Theatre was established in 1976 and is located in Iganmu, on the mainland of Lagos State. The Theatre was set up to promote, present and preserve Nigerian arts and culture. The National Arts Theatre is famous for hosting The Festival of Arts and Culture otherwise known as FESTAC 77 in 1977.
The National Arts Theatre is often referred to as a cultural center and has a lot of halls and spaces where different cultural activities and events take place.
The National Arts Theatre which is considered as one of the best structures in Nigeria and Lagos in particular, has the following facilities:
- A large main auditorium that has the capacity to seat about 3000 people
- The theatre also has a conference hall that has the capacity to take care of about 800 people and is also equipped with facilities that enables translation of 8 languages at the same time.
- The theatre also has two cinema halls that can each seat about 350 people at a time
- A restaurant and bar where people eat, have a drink and relax.
- A conference banquet hall that can seat about 1000 people
- An exhibition hall that can seat about 1500 people
- Large parking space
- Good source of water supply along with power generators
A host of activities takes place at the National theatre in Lagos including exhibitions, dramas, film events, conventions, musical shows and concerts, workshops, exhibitions and sports activities making the venue a great place for people to have a great time.
3. LEKKI CONSERVATION CENTER
The Lekki conservation center is located at Lekki Peninsula not far away from Chevron complex. The center was established in 1990 as an environment education center and is managed by the National Conservation Foundation. The center consists of swamp and savannah habitation.
The center has a large area occupied by wet lands and is home to a lot of wild life animals including monkeys, crocodiles, a wide variety of birds among others.
The center has the following facilities, they include:
4. A TREE HOUSE
The tree house is one of the eye catching facilities you will find at the center. The tree house is well fitted and placed on a very large tree and is as high as about 20 meters. The tree has a safe ladder that is well placed behind the tree to enable visitors who are not afraid of heights and are interested in catching the breath taking view of the center climb up to the tree house.
There are spots where people climbing up to the top of the tree house can stop and take a rest and they are known as rest stops. The rest stops which are located along the trail broad walk gives visitors an opportunity to have a picnic as they rest.
5. THE TRAIL BROAD WORK
The trail broad walk was created in 1992 to further boost the experience and fun of visitors and tourists to the center.
Some of the features of the trail work include rest stops, tree house, bird hide among others. At the end of the trail walk is a small island which has spaces for people to have a picnic as well as spaces for people to have a lot of fun as they play different types of games.
6. A NATURAL RESERVE
The center is home to a lot of natural green vegetation in which animals like giant rats, mona monkeys, bushbucks and many others stay.
The center is also a great place for lovers of birds as a lot of birds that are not easily seen across the country and the continent of Africa are found in the center.
Available at the center are tour guides who take visitors and tourists through the various facilities at the center.
So if you stay in Lagos and you have not visited any of these tourist attractions, you now know what you are missing. Also if you plan to visit Lagos, you can check out these venues as they offer a blend of information, fun and entertainment which you will surely enjoy.Buy and Sell Bitcoin in Nigeria - Register for free on Luno
Click here to see the latest Study Abroad Scholarships and Guides
Click here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.