In this post, I will show you how to prepare Isi Ewu with goat head. This is another respected dessert in the Igbo land. If you enter an Igbo joint joint in the evening, you will notice the rate at which is been consumed.
Isi Ewu and a chilled drink can make an interesting evening. At times people find it difficult to different Isi Ewu and Nwobi. There methods of preparation are the same but the meats used are different.
Nkwobi is prepared with cow leg while on the other hand Isi ewu as the name implies “goat head” is prepared with goat head. This article will explain the following topics:
- how to prepare nkwobi with goat meat
- how to prepare isi ewu youtube
- how to cook goat head soup
- isi ewu recipe dooney
- isi ewu pictures
- isi ewu in london
- nkwobi pictures
- how to prepare goat meat pepper soup
Ingredients for Isi Ewu
- 1 Goat Head
- 15 cl (150ml) Red Palm Oil
- 10 Utazi leaves (Gongronema latifolium)
- 2 big beef flavoured stock cubes
- 2 teaspoons of ground Ehu seeds (Calabash Nutmeg)
- 1 tablespoon of powdered edible potash (Akanwu/Kaun/Keun)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 habanero peppers (or to your taste)
- Salt (to taste)
To garnish the Isi Ewu
- 1 onion
- Utazi leaves (Gongronema latifolium)
Notes on the ingredients
- When cooking the goat head. It is not to nice it whole as it will need lots ofwater to get it done. And we do not want lots of water in the meat when done . so its best to cut the meat in pieces before cooking
- Goat meat is quite tough so if you have a pressure cooker, do use it for cooking it to save time and gas/electricity.
- Use a pressure cooker to cook the goat meat
- Ehu (Calabash Nutmeg) is a traditional ingredient that gives this dish an authentic local flavour . Isi Ewu can be prepared without it if you can’t get it. Note that the ordinary nutmeg is not an alternative to Ehu as they are both completely different and used for different purposes. To remove the shell of ehu seed easily , you either pan roast it, that is you place the seed on a dry pan and heat up until you hear a crack or you open flame roast, place it on a dry burner on medium heat and leave it for a while until it chars then crack open
- Potash makes the palm oil curdle. An alternative is ngu. Incases you don’t see the both in your location, you can use baking soda
- Utazi add its unique bitter flavor to the Isi Ewu though it is used sparingly as some people cannot stand the taste. Bold spinach is an alternative. It gives same effect and taste great
- Ugba: This makes the dish simply mouth watering due to its own unique flavor
Steps to Prepare Isi Ewu
- Cut the head into pieces but make sure the essential parts such as the tongue and ears are cut wholly
- The goat brain should be wrapped in a aluminium foil just like moi moi
- Thoroughly wash the head using iron sponge and a knife to scrape the top hard skin and to remove every traces of chars from roasting the goat. Do not forget to clean the tongue
- Dissolve the potash in a bowl of water, about 4 tablespoon of water and stir then pass it through a sieve and set the liquid aside
- Cut the onions into big chunks.
- Wash the ugba and set aside
- Crack and remove the outer shell of the ehu then grind with a grind pepper and set aside
- Boil the goat head together with the brain with a small quantity of water, stock cubes and onion. Top up water from time to time but make is in little quantity. We do not want stock in the pot when meat is well done
- Slice the onion into rings
- Thinly slice half of the utazi and cut the other half into tiny pieces. The first part will be used for garnishing while the other will be used when preparing the isiewu
- When meat is well cooked, remove the chunks of onions , take out the brain of the goat and mash it into a smooth paste
- Add salt and keep cooking until water dries up and set aside
- Pour palm oil in a dry pot
- Pour in the liquid from the seized potash
- Stir as you pour in the potash mixture. The palm oil starts to curdle and turn yellow. Too much of potash causes stomach upset, so be mindful of the quantity you use
- Add the mashed brain, the pepper , ehu seeds and the finely cut utazi leaves, stir well to mix up the whole content
- Then gently add the ugba and then the goat head and stir
- Place pot on heat and allow to heat up
- Then serve, garnished with the sliced utazi and onions
- Served with chilled drink
🤑 Start making money from home today!
👉 Get correct FREE TIPS and Guides on how to make money from home today. Click here to start
👍Showcase your business here!
With over 1M unique users per month across all channels, we have a large audience for you to showcase your products and services. Simply get in touch via 👉 marketing@Infoguidenigeria.com.
🤑 Make Money now!
👉 Make money writing for us. Apply for Freelance writing jobs in Nigeria.
👉 Make Money as InfoGuideNigeria Advertising Agents, read more here
This post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Facebook, Whatsapp, Telegram and Twitter. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)!
Copyright Warning!Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment.
Proper acknowledgment includes, but not limited to (a) LINK BACK TO THE ARTICLE in the case of re-publication on online media, (b) Proper referencing in the case of usage in research, magazine, brochure, or academic purposes,.
All contents are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).
We publish all contents with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, please contact us at [firstname.lastname@example.org] to file a complaint and we will take necessary actions immediately.