In this post, I will show you the step-by-step guide and recipes needed to prepare Nigeria Pizza. Pizza is popular snack here in Nigeria, our cash in a way or the other our money has gone into this palatable snack with its points located at every angle of the city.
It’s an expensive snack but it’s worth every penny. The interesting part of it is that it can actually be made at home.
Pizza is basically hard bread with some toppings, pretty easy. It is a delicious food/snack given to us by the Italians.
Pizza is basically hard bread with some toppings. Every Pizza must have cheese, if not it will not be Pizza.
The first experience with this snack might not be interesting. It may taste strange for your first time especially for those with Nigeria taste bud.lol! But not to worry with time you will get used to taste and will start running back for more of it.
The interesting thing about these snacks is any food item can be used as its topping so far as the combo pleases you
Ingredients for a Nigeria Pizza
The following ingredients are needed for a 12-inch diameter Pizza
For the Pizza dough
The following quantities of ingredients make a chunky pizza crust. If you want a slender pizza crust but still 12 inches diameter, use half the quantities of ingredients.
- 300g plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 3g or 2 teaspoons yeast
- Four tablespoons olive oil
- 150mls of warm water
- One teaspoon of salt
- One teaspoon sugar
- Margarine (for the oven tray)
For the Toppings
These are my favourite Pizza toppings.
- 250g mozzarella cheese
- Four tablespoons of Tomato Stew
- Two mushrooms
- One tablespoon of minced/ground meat
- Red bell pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
Utensils and Equipment needed
- Kitchen towels,- Buy it here from Jumia
- plastic film
- Pizza cutter – Buy it from Jumia
- Oven,- Buy it here from Jumia
- Sieve etc
Notes on the Ingredients
- All the listed ingredients can be purchased from supermarkets all over the world. For those in Nigeria it can be purchased at big supermarket like shoprite
- Like I mentioned earlier, feel free to use a combination of fruits, vegetables and meat that catches your fancy. Mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce are the only standard cheese toppings.
- You can use more cheese if you wish.
- The minced meat should be fried in vegetable oil before adding it on the Pizza.
Before you make the Pizza
- Ensure that all the utensils and equipment are properly washed and dry.
- Heat up some water. This is the warm water you will use to mix the Pizza dough.
Directions for making Nigerian Pizza
Mix the Pizza dough
- Sieve the plain flour into a clean dry bowl. The bowl should be large enough for mixing the flour and other ingredients. Why it is required to sift the flour is because it airs the flour and breaks up any available lumps making it easier to mix.
- Add the yeast to the dry flour and stir to mix. This is important so the salt which is added next does not touch the yeast.
- Put in the sugar and salt and mix thoroughly
- Then add the olive oil and mix thoroughly.
- Begin adding the warm water and mix up with a spatula at the same time till all the water has been engrossed. Then continue by hand till even soft dough is achieved. Fold up the dough and lay it in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a thin plastic film/warm towel and place in a warm place for an hour for the dough to rise. You can place it in a turned off oven that can serve as a warm place
Prepare the oven tray
Usually, Pizza is laid on a pizza stone and baked in a clay oven, there are mostly used by those living but unless you live in a beautiful Italian countryside, what most of us have is a standard kitchen oven.
And you most probably do not have a pizza stone.
The Pizza will be placed in an oven tray and bake it in a standard kitchen oven.
- Rub some margarine in the oven tray, ensure that every part of the tray is covered with a thin layer of margarine. Soft butter can be an alternative here
- Sprinkle some flour on it; ensure that the flour covers all the margarine. When done, pour out the excess flour.
Continue with the Pizza dough
- After an hour, bring out the Pizza dough from the warm place. You’ll observe that the pizza dough is swollen.
- Knead it for a bit and move it to the oven tray.
- In circular motion, spread the dough until it is 12 inches in diameter. The dough may resist as you do this but continue you can get the dough to spread as wide as possible.
- After that, cover the dough and place in a warm place to rise yet again for 45 minutes.
Prepare the Pizza toppings
- While waiting for the Pizza dough to rise a second time, go on and wash the vegetables use for the pizza topping , slice them and set aside
- Fry the minced beef in a little quantity of vegetable oil until it turns pale.
- Get the tomato sauce ready for the pizza. Here we made use of stock cube, onion powder and salt and some Tomato Stew i.e fresh tomato puree fried in vegetable oil. Add the stock cube, onion powder and salt to the vegetable oil. You can also add any ingredient of your choice
Back to the Pizza dough
- Its 45 minutes already and by now the pizza dough must have puffed up again. Bring it out from its warm place and spread it out more to manipulate it again
- Spread some quantity of the olive oil on the dough.
- Also spread the tomato sauce.
- Then sprinkle the cheese on top.
Bake and enjoy!
- Place the pizza in a preheated oven (180°C or 360F) and bake for 20-25 minutes or till the pizza crust is light brown and the cheese has turned watery by the heat.
- The pizza should be removed from the oven and place the rest of the toppings on top.
- Place it back in the oven and bake for a maximum of 2 minutes; of course you do not want the vegetables to become dull.
- That’s it!
Pizza can be served with a chilled soft drink. Feel free to visit for more helpful cooking recipes.
Click here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.
Click here to Join Recharge and Get Paid
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria
Copyright Warning!We work really hard and put a lot of effort and resources into our content, providing our readers with plagiarism-free articles, original and high-quality texts. Contents on this website may not be copied, republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. Proper acknowledgement include, but not limited to (a) Proper referencing in the case of usage in research, magazine, brochure, or academic purposes, (b)"FAIR USE" in the case of re-publication on online media. About possible consequences you can read here: What are the consequences of copyright infringement? In an effort to protect our intellectual properties, we may report your website to Google without prior notice and your website be removed from search engines and you may receive a strike. All contents are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).