In this guide, I will show you How to Prepare Rice and Beans in Nigeria. As the name implies, Rice and beans is prepared with a combination of rice and beans. It is mostly eaten in Nigeria as well as outside Nigeria but with regional difference of preparation. It has lots vitamins and nutrients associated with the it . Rice which is solid ingredient has the following health benefits:
It Provides Energy: Rice is a rich carbohydrate. It fuels the body and helps in the normal functioning of the the brain. They are metabolized by the body and are turned into usable energy. It increases the functioning and metabolic activities of organs which further leads to increased energy level
It is cholesterol free: Rice does not contain harmful fat, cholesterol or sodium. Low levels of fat, cholesterol, and sodium will also help reduce obesity and the health conditions associated with being overweight. It is one of the most eaten foods in the world; it is health even in a small quantity
Blood Pressure Management: Rice is low in sodium, it is recommended for those suffering from high blood pressure, hypertension and atherosclerosis. Sodium can cause veins and arteries to constrict, increasing the stress and strain on the cardiovascular system as the blood pressure increases. Cutting off excess sodium is always a good idea.
Rich Source of Vitamins: Rice is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals like niacin, vitamin D, calcium, fiber, iron, thiamine and riboflavin. These vitamins act as a foundation for body metabolism, immune system health, and general functioning of the organ systems, since vitamins are commonly consumed in the most essential activities in the body.
Other benefits includes, regulation and improvement of bowel movements, stabilization of blood sugar levels therefore slowing down the aging process, while also providing an essential source of vitamin B1 to the human body, ability to boost skin health, aid in digestion, helps in weight loss efforts, improve the immune system and gives protection against dysentery, cancer, and heart disease
Beans on the other hand provides the body with soluble fiber, which plays an important role in controlling blood cholesterol levels, it helps manage diabetes, it helps lose weight, it prevents heart disease, it helps fight cancer etc
Looking at their health contributions, Rice and Beans together is a bonus to your health. Here is a recipe for a delicious rice and beans prepared in Nigeria
- 2 cigar cups (500g) long grain parboiled rice
- 1 cigar cup (250g) brown/black-eyed beans
- 500 mls Tomatoes stew
- Chicken or Fish
- Pepper and salt (to taste)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 stock cubes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Wash and soak the beans for some hours
- Discard the water and rinse the beans.
- Put the beans in a pot, pour some water and bring to boil.
- Once the beans starts boiling, rewash the beans. These steps will help minimize indigestion for most people
- Parboil the rice and set aside
- Steam the chicken with sliced onions, thyme and stock cubes. If you fish is your preference, boil for 5 minutes using the required spices
- Fry or grill the chicken or the fish and set aside.
- Now prepare the tomato stew. Here are the required ingredient for it ; 3.2kg (7lbs) fresh Plum Tomatoes (referred to as Jos Tomatoes in Nigeria), 400g (14oz), tinned tomato paste: (or watery tinned Tomato Puree: 800g), Vegetable Oil, 2 onions
- Wash the fresh plum tomatoes, remove the seed and blend
- If the thick tinned tomato paste is your choice, mix with water to reduce thickness
- Slice the onions into small pieces.
- Scoop the blended fresh tomatoes into the pot and cook at high heat till water gets dried
- If using the watery tinned. add this to the pot and reduce at low heat,. Boil till water in the tomato puree have dried completely
- Pour the vegetable oil, the sliced onions, and the mixed tomatoes puree
- Stir vigorously at low temperature till the oil separates from the puree. Taste to make sure it doesn’t have a soar taste. From the aroma, you should tell a properly fried puree
- Cook the beans till tender and set aside.
- Pour the chicken/fish stock into a pot big enough to accommodate the rice and beans, bearing in mind that the rice will rise some more.
- Add the tomato stew, the parboiled rice and the cooked beans. Check that the water level is just less than the level of the rice and beans.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Stir, cover the pot and cook at low to medium heat till the water is dry.
- Serve with the fried chicken or fish and Fried Plantain.
How to Prepare Palm Oil Rice and Beans
It is quite cheap and mustn’t need the tomato puree, chicken or meat. Fish is enough to go with this delicacy.
Ingredients for Palm Oil Rice and Beans:
- Rice11/2 cups
- Brown Beans 11/2 cups
- Smoked cat fish 4
- Grilled Titus Fish 1
- Crayfish pepper sauce or pepper, seasoning, onion blended together
- Palm oil
- Frying pepper sauce in palm oil: ground pepper, onion and seasoning cubes frying in unbleached oil
- Addwater, ground crayfish and bring to a boil than add and washed beans
- Add fish, add salt to salt
- Cover pot and leave to boil
- if pot dries up too fast, add more water, salt and seasoning then leave to dry again
Do you have leftover boiled rice and beans, eaten a previous day and maybe your sauce gets exhausted and you don’t know how to go about the leftovers, don’t waste them. This is a recipe for Palm Oil Rice & Beans Recipe using left over
- Cooked plain white rice
- Cooked beans
- Palm Oil
- Onions -shredded
- Stockfish -Boiled and cut into small pieces.
- Seasoning cube
- Pepper (optional) and salt to taste
- Scent leaves
- Small quantity of water
- Place the pot on heat, add the palm oil and allow to heat up. Once it is hot, add the onions to fry.
- Add the crayfish, stockfish, pepper and seasoning cube. Fry until the foam appears, it does not take more than a minute for this to happen.
- Add water, bring to boil before adding the rice and beans and add the cut scent leaves. Just a small quantity of water is enough as the rice and beans is already cooked and will require much water. The quantity just enough to simmer it
- Stir to combine all, adjust for taste and allow to simmer together till the water dries up.
The meal is readyBuy and Sell Bitcoin in Nigeria - Register for free on Luno
Click here to see the latest Study Abroad Scholarships and Guides
Click here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.
Copyright Warning!We work really hard and put a lot of effort and resources into our content, providing our readers with plagiarism-free articles, original and high-quality texts. Contents on this website may not be copied, republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. Proper acknowledgement include, but not limited to (a) Proper referencing in the case of usage in research, magazine, brochure, or academic purposes, (b)"FAIR USE" in the case of re-publication on online media. About possible consequences you can read here: What are the consequences of copyright infringement? In an effort to protect our intellectual properties, we may report your website to Google without prior notice and your website be removed from search engines and you may receive a strike. All contents are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).