In this post we shall be looking at common processed foods that causes cancer so that you can avoid or minimize their intake.
Health is wealth and with over 500,000 annual cases of cancer in Nigeria and no guaranteed cure to the disease, you don’t need to be told that it is better prevenented than suffered.
Fortunately, we can prevent or minimize the risk of suffering this deadly disease by avoiding or minimizing your intake of processed foods especially the under-discussed common processed foods that causes cancer.
1. PROCESSED MEAT: Meat is one of the major sources of protein and widely enjoyed by many including myself.
However, according to a report recently released by WHO, the consumption of up to 50g of processed meat like sausage, hot dogs, burger and so on a daily basis increases the chances of developing colorectal cancer as they contain sodium nitrate and heterocyclic aromatic amines.
By processed meat they mean meat modified to improve its shelf life, taste and/or aroma through curing, smoking, salting, adding preservatives and so on.
So, if you can not stop enjoying processed meat, reduce the intake.
2. CANNED TOMATOES: Tomatoes Is a great source of vitamin and one of the most widely used vegetables for cooking, but because of its perishable nature, it’s often preserved and mostly in tins.
However, this preservation technique extends the shelf life of tomatoes and shortens ours. This is because the cans used are lined with Bisphenol A which is an endocrine disruptor and increases the risk of having cancer especially breast and prostate cancer.
Though, other canned foods poses the same danger, but research shows that canned tomatoes are highly acidic and absorbs the chemical (BPA) rapidly than others thus making it more dangerous.
So, if you must consume tomatoes, go for fresh ones.
3. MICROWAVE POPCORN: Generally, popcorn isn’t a bad companion especially when you are enjoying a movie.
But,the microwave popcorn we often take has been discovered by health experts to be carcinogenic as it is made with diactyl; a cancer causing chemical and even lung damage.
Also, the nylon bag in which this treat is packed Is often lined with a carcinogenic chemical called perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA).
4. SODA POP: These kind of drinks are the usually loaded with colorants, sugar, and food chemicals like caramel color and derivative 4-methylimidazole (4-MI) which are highly carcinogenic.
5. BEVERAGES AND DIET FOODS: According to a recent review released by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), over 20 different studies around Europe have found that sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, spends etc used in beverages and diet foods causes cancer and other birth defects especially when the intake is very high.
6. HYDROGENATED OIL: This is oil extracted artificially from vegetables. Unlike the natural ones like soy oil and olive oil, the shelf life and taste of this kind of oil is improved using preservatives that are carcinogenic.
Also, high level of Omega-3 fatty acid and trans fat in hydrogenated oil increases the risk of cancer among its consumers.
7. POTATO CHIPS: Crispy potato chips are made from deep frying usually under temperatures exceeding 250 degrees Fahrenheit which according to scientists produces a carcinogen called acrylamide. When fried in hydrogenated oil, the case even becomes compounded.
Also, potato chips are equally high in fat and can induce weight gain and high blood pressure.
8. WHITE FLOUR: This is one of most common ingredients used in processed foods. The white color of flour is often obtained through bleaching and refining using chlorine gas.
Read Also: 10 Fast Selling Nigerian Snacks
This depletes its nutrient, leaving it as chaff. This final product of refining and bleaching equally contains glycemic chemicals capable of exposing its consumers to high risk of having cancer.
The causes of cancer are endless. Hence, the statement that “everything causes cancer”.
But, in as much as some other causes of this deadly disease like exposure to sunlight and the likes cannot be prevented, we are in control of what we eat and can minimize the likelihood of having this deadly disease by stopping or minimizing the intake of these common processed foods that causes cancer especially the ones discussed above.
WE ARE WHAT WE EAT. SO EAT HEALTHY AND HELP OTHERS TO DO SO BY SHARING THIS POST.
DONT FORGET TO LEAVE INSIGHTFUL COMMENTS BELOW.
Click here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.
Click here to Join Recharge and Get Paid
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria
Copyright Warning!We work really hard and put a lot of effort and resources into our content, providing our readers with plagiarism-free articles, original and high-quality texts. Contents on this website may not be copied, republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. Proper acknowledgement include, but not limited to (a) Proper referencing in the case of usage in research, magazine, brochure, or academic purposes, (b)"FAIR USE" in the case of re-publication on online media. About possible consequences you can read here: What are the consequences of copyright infringement? In an effort to protect our intellectual properties, we may report your website to Google without prior notice and your website be removed from search engines and you may receive a strike. All contents are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).