This is a different way of enjoying beans. With just a little alteration, it is suitable for vegetarians. It has the same preparation method as the regular moi moi but with the difference of less added ingredients. It is mostly enjoyed with stew. Even without the stew it still taste great
This is how white moi moi is wrapped in the following materials
a. Cut the foil in pieces depending on the size of bag you want to make.
b. Then fold the open edges to make a flat bag and leave one end open. Ensure the foil is being doubled when making the bags. This ensures the bags do not burst during cooking due to intense heat.
c. Mix the Moi Moi and pour some into the aluminium foil bag through the open end of the bag. The bag shouldn’t be filled to the brim, moi moi rises during cooking. This may cause the bag to burst
d. Fold the open end of the aluminium bag and place the bag in a padded pot. Padding should be done at the base of the cooking pot to prevent bursting of the bags placed at the base due to intense heat.
e. The bags of moi moi should be cooked in a boiling water so that the contents will be set immediately thereby preventing accidental leakage.
a. Wash and dry the bowls.
b. Inside the bowl should be rubbed with vegetable oil to prevent moi moi from sticking to it when it is cooked
c. When putting the moi moi mix, do keep the contents only up to half of the container. So that it won’t overflow when cooking as moi moi rises
d. The quantity of water poured in the pot should only be half way up the bowls at the bottom of the pot while cooking the moi moi.
This is so because the water does not go into the bowls. The reason why it takes too long for the Moi Moi at the top to get done while using bowl. They are basically steam-cooked.
e. When the water dries, add more, making sure not to pour water into the bowls.
f. After some time, swap the bowls. The bowls at the bottom should be placed ontop while the ones ontop should be moved to the bottom as to get cooked all at the same time.
g. Cook till the Moi Moi is well cooked. This can be checked by putting a clean dry knife into the moi moi. If knife comes out clean or with an oily smear, the moi moi is done. On the other hand , if knife comes out with a paste (moi moi ) on it , then it is not yet cooked
a. Remove the leaf stalks. There a special way to do that so the stalk at the back of the leaves are not removed
b. Carefully wash the leaves at least 2 times in lots of water.
c. The first wash should be with salt water and a foam sponge to remove all dirts/dusts. The second wash should basically be rinsing them in plenty of water.
d. Also wash the leaf stalks as they will be used as padding for the base of the pot.
e. Mix the Nigerian Moi Moi.
f. Pad the base of the pot using the washed uma leaves stalk, to prevent burning of the wraps at the base of the pot.
g. Add small quantity of water in the pot and bring to a boil.
h. To make uma wraps: First of all, place 2 leaves on top of each other, fold them to form a cone. Then bend the pointed end and hold it up. Put some moi moi mix into the cone. Fold the open end and place the wrap in the pot of boiling water.
i. Use atleast 2 leaves to make a wrap. This doubling ensures a better buildup for the moi moi wraps to avoid leakages. It is difficult to achieve 0% leakage
Here is a perfect White Moi Moi recipe
Ingredients For Preparing of White Moi Moi
White Moi Moi
a. 360g of black eyed or brown beans
b. Salt (to taste)
c. 600mls lukewarm water
d. 1 small onion
e. 1 big stock cube
f. 2 cooking spoons vegetable oil (optional)
a. 250mls Tomato Stew (get the recipe on how to prepare Nigeria Stew)
b. 2 small smoked mackerels
c. Salt and Habanero pepper (to taste)
d. 1 teaspoon nutmeg
e. 1 small onion
g. 1 small stock cube
Before you cook White Moi Moi
1. Soak and peel the beans
2. When done peel the beans , put beans in a bowl and pour water enough to cover the bean. Leave to soak for 3 hours to achieve the best consistency when blended
3. Prepare the tomatoe stew and set aside
4. Prepare the moi moi container and set aside
5. Grind the pepper
6. Slice the onions into small pieces
7. Crush the maggi
8. Prepare some smoked fish
9. Add the onions and crush stock cube while blending the beans . ensure the water used should not be more than 600mls ( for blending and mixing).
10. Blend and pour into a big bowl then add vegetable oil and stir
11. Gradually add water while stirring until you get a good mix of all ingredients
12. Add salt to taste and stir
13. Add some water in a pot like about 1cm deep and boil
14. When water boil, add some padding for the moi moi wrap
15. Then gently scoop your moi moi mix into the moi moi wrap of your choice and gradually place it in the pot of boiling water
16. Repeat previous step until the mix is exhausted
17. When done cover the wraps with a leave or plastic bag to keep heat in
18. Then cover pot and start cooking
19. Check from time to time to add small quantity of water as at time when necessary. How do you know your moi moi is properly cooked? Put a knife through it , if knife is stained with moi moi paste , the moi moi is not done but if the paste doesn’t smear on the knife, then it’s done. Another way to get this is by cutting through the moi moi, the inside will be set and not watery
The time duration required for cooking moi moi depends on the quantity and moi moi container used moi moi wrapped in Uma leaves or banana leaves is usually the fastest to cook, followed by the aluminium foils and lastly the aluminum or plastic plates. The fewer the wraps of moi moi, the faster it gets cooked
Direction For Preparing of Stew For White Moi Moi
The white moi moi should be seasoned with at least one traditional ingredient such as crayfish, iru, and smoked fish. The turnout will be so delicious
a. Put the fish in a clean pot then add onion, some water, stock cube, pepper and the nutmeg then stir, cover and cook
b. When the fish has done, pour in the tomatoes stew (Check our tomatoes stew recipe)
c. Cover and leave to simmer and it’s done
Serve with the stew or skip the stew and serve the White Moi Moi with a chilled soft drink.
Click here to see the latest Study Abroad Scholarships and Guides
Click here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.
Click here to Join Recharge and Get Paid
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria