In this step-by-step guide, I will show you how to join Nigerian Air Force. See the eligibility and application procedure here.
There are two professions that I admire a lot, they are the armed forces and pilots, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. For those that have a passion for both and are interested in serving in the Nigerian Air Force, this article should guide you to know what it entails to join Nigerian Air Force.
The Nigerian Air Force is an arm of the Nigerian Armed Forces, it is charged with the responsibility of defending Nigeria by air and protecting the Nigerian air space. It is one of the largest in Africa, consisting of about 10,000 personnel. The Nigerian Air Force has a fleet of aircrafts that includes twelve Chinese Chengdu F-7s, eleven Dassault-Dornier Alpha Jets , armed helicopters, and military transport aircraft.
The recruitment process and requirements of the Nigerian Air Force is similar to that of other arms of the Armed Forces, but it does not have the Short Service Commission (SSC). There are different opportunities for different people with different levels of qualifications to be able to serve in the Air Force. Graduates of the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA), by default, can join the Air Force and they will be given the rank of Pilot Officer.
The Nigerian Air Force conducts a Basic Military Training Course (BMTC) periodically, to recruit personnel as airmen/airwomen, which is the lowest rank in the Air Force. To be eligible for recruitment into this category you need to have the following qualifications:
For those that want to apply as Non-Tradesmen/Women:
- Must be between the ages of 17 and 22 years by 31 December of the year that you applied.
- Must possess a minimum of three credits, including Maths and English, in WASSCE, NECO or GCE.
While for those that want to apply as Tradesmen/Women:
- They must be between the ages of 17 and 24 years by 31 December of the year that you applied.
- They must possess a minimum of 3 pases, including English, in WASSCE, NECO or GCE and must possess at least a lower credit in ND/NCE or any relevant trade certificate from reputable and approved government institutions/organisations. Those with higher academic qualifications such as OND will be given higher ranks. However, those that apply as Tradesmen/Women will be recruited as non-commissioned officers.
There is also the opportunity of being recruited into the Air Force via the Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC). This category is open to applicants that have academic qualifications of HND and higher. The DSSC is an intensive military training designed for professionals from various disciplines needed in the different arms of the armed forces at any particular time to serve as officers in the non combat services of the armed forces. In the Air Force officers recruited via this category will assume the rank of Flying Officer after completing the training. Recruitment into the DSSC is usually on the basis of vacancies that become available in the different disciplines needed at any particular time.
For one to be eligible for recruitment in this category, you need to have the following qualifications:
- You must possess a minimum of second class lower division for holders of first degree, that is BSc or its equivalent, and lower credit for those with HND certificates. Also all intending applicants must have at least a credit in English Language and Mathematics and three additional credits in subjects related to your degree course of study. Computer literacy will be an added advantage.
- You must possess NYSC Discharge Certificate or Letter of Exemption from NYSC at the time that you applied.
- You must have with you the certificates of full registration with your respective statutory professional bodies in Nigeria wherever it may apply.
- Your attestation form must be signed by a military officer that is from your state of origin and must not be below the rank of Squadron Leader or its equivalent in the Nigerian Army and the Nigerian Navy, and Police Officer of the rank of Assistant CP and above. Your Local Government Chairman or Secretary, magistrates and principals of Government Secondary Schools from your state of origin can also sign the attestation forms. The signees passport photograph and either a photocopy of drivers licence or international passport must be attached. The signee is to authenticate your passports (two passports will be needed) by signing and stamping behind your passport photographs.
- You are also expected to bring with you a letter of attestation of good character from any of the officers above to the Zonal Enlistment Centers and final selection interview.
Other general requirements and qualifications needed for you to be eligible for recruitment into the Nigerian Air Force includes the following:
- First and foremost you must be of Nigerian origin.
- You must be single.
- You must not be shorter more than 1.68 meters or 5.5ft in height for males and 1.65m or 5.4ft in height for females.
- You must be medically fit and meet the Nigerian Air Force medical and employment standards.
- Also note that you will be required to come along with the original copies of your documents and credentials at the recruitment centers and also during the final selection interview.
You will also be required to present the following documents if you are shortlisted for the zonal recruitment test:
- Two recent passport size photographs to be stamped and countersigned by your signee.
- Photocopies of Birth Certificate/Declaration of Age (Any age declaration done later than 5 years to the date of application will not be acceptable); and photocopies of Educational/ Trade Certificates.
It’s important to note that any of those that applied for the recruitment test that is suspected to have impersonated or may have submitted any document(s) that is false shall be disqualified, and will not be allowed to take part in the selection exercise. Also, any false declaration detected later may lead to withdrawal from training. Such persons may be handed over to the Police for prosecution.
Interested and eligible persons that want to apply for recruitment into the Air Force can do so on their portal www.careers.nigerianairforce.gov.ng, whenever they are recruiting. After completing your application you will be presented with some documents that you will need to download and fill, such as your Local Government Attestation Form, Parents/Guardian Consent Form and Acknowledgement Form. Imperatively, you will need to be frequenting the website of the Nigerian Air Force, which is www.airforce.mil.ng, to be informed on whenever they will be conducting their recruitment processes.
👍Showcase your business here!
With over 1M unique users per month across all channels, we have a large audience for you to showcase your products and services. Simply get in touch via 👉 marketing@Infoguidenigeria.com.
🤑 Make Money now!
👉 Make money writing for us. Apply for Freelance writing jobs in Nigeria.
👉 Make Money as InfoGuideNigeria Advertising Agents, read more here
✍️ Be Our Guest Publisher!
Do you have a press release, breaking news, or any other helpful information to share with our growing readers? If yes, send your article to 👉 email@example.com.
We will be glad to publish it if the information is useful to our audience.
This post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Facebook, Whatsapp, Telegram and Twitter. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)!
Copyright Warning!Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment.
Proper acknowledgment includes, but not limited to (a) LINK BACK TO THE ARTICLE in the case of re-publication on online media, (b) Proper referencing in the case of usage in research, magazine, brochure, or academic purposes,.
All contents are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).
We publish all contents with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, please contact us at [firstname.lastname@example.org] to file a complaint and we will take necessary actions immediately.