Chicken Pie is a delicious Nigeria snacks and I will be discussing how to prepare Chicken Pie in Nigeria. Now, if you know how to prepare meat pie then you can equally make Chicken Pie as they are prepared the same way, the difference here is, chicken is used instead of beef.
Do you know How to Prepare Chicken Pie in Nigeria? It is very simple and far less little expensive as it doesn’t require many ingredients and it is easy to make. Don’t take the whole preparation as a big deal, just take the recipe step by step and you will absolutely love the result.
Are there times you crave for a particular food and you realize the outlet where they sell such food is out of sight. What do you do then? You simply enter and make some.
It’s time to stop craving for Chicken Republic Chicken Pie and start making yours, here is recipe that will guide you in the kitchen
Chicken Pie Ingredients
With the following ingredients, I was able to come up with fourteen pies. The secret to getting good size chicken pies depends on the diameter of cutter you use. Like mine was 15centimetre (6 inches) in diameter
For the Chicken Pie dough, the following ingredients are needed:
- 1kg (2.2 lbs) plain flour (All Purpose Flour)
- 300g (0.7 lbs) margarine
- Two teaspoons baking powder
- One glass of whole milk or water
- Half teaspoon salt
Hot News: How to Start Poultry Farming in Nigeria
For the Chicken Pie filling, the following ingredients are needed:
- 350g (1.1 lbs) minced chicken
- One small piece of carrot
- One white onion
- One cooking spoon vegetable oil
- Two Knorr cubes
- Two small Irish potatoes (spuds)
- Two teaspoons Nigerian curry powder
- One teaspoon plain flour
- One teaspoon thyme
- Some water
- Salt (to taste)
Ornamental Ingredient for Chicken Pie
- One egg
Notes on the ingredients:
- In this recipe, we used whole milk to mix the dough. Yes! I often get questions if mixing the Chicken Pie dough with milk ruins the recipe. The answer is no! I decided to try it with this Chicken Pie and it came out superb. You can as well use cool water
- Carrots is needed in small pieces for the filling
- In chicken Republic’s Chicken Pie, white onions is used but you can opt for red onion when the white is unavailable
- The plain flour stated in the list of ingredients for the fillings serves as the thickener. Mix it with a small of water which is being used when preparing the chicken pie filling
Read Also: How to Prepare Zobo Drink
Direction for preparing the Chicken Pie Filling
- The Chicken Pie Filling
- Started by washing all ingredients needed to be washed
- Start by placing the minced chicken in a bowl and spice it up using stock cubes (crushed), thyme, salt and some quantity of curry powder
- Take your time to mix the content of the bowl thoroughly using your hand, when the ingredients are properly incorporated with the minced chicken
- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge. Marinate for 20minutes
- Then peel off the skin of the Irish potatoes, and cut into medium cubes, scrape off the carrot skin and grate, dice the onion and set all these aside
- Cook the Irish potatoes using water and salt to taste. Do not overcook it. Allow to get done but not soft
- When the Irish potatoes is done, discard the water from cook the potatoes using a sieve and set the potatoes aside
- After 20minute, remove the bowl of chicken from the fridge
- Place a clean, dry pot on heat then pour the vegetable oil and when it has heated up, add the diced onion and stir for a bit. Do not allow to get burnt then go on and add the marinated chicken and start stirring thoroughly. Why this should be done is to get small stand-alone pieces of chicken by the time the chicken is pale
- When then chicken is pale, add a little quantity to it and the remaining curry powder then followed by the boiled potatoes and the grated carrot
- Cover the pot and leave to boil, then add the thickener prepared above, stir properly and add salt if necessary. Set the filling aside to cool down completely
Read Also: How to Prepare Egusi Soup in Nigeria
Preparation Direction for the Chicken Pie dough
- Sift the flour into a big enough bowl.
- Add the baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Scoop the margarine in small quantities using a spoon
- Using your hand, mix properly until you get a crumby texture
- Now behind to add the whole milk (or water) in bits and mix until you get a stiff ball of dough. This is done to get a soft dough that is not a stick.
- Leave the bowl covered and set it aside for 10 minutes
- Then knead it again and it will be observed that it is softer and smoother this time
Read Also: How to Prepare Rice and Beans in Nigeria
Direction for Cutting, Filling, Folding and Closing the Chicken Pie
- Prepare the oven tray to receive the pies. Start by rubbing margarine all over the inside of the tray then use a baking sheet to line the oven tray. Set the tray aside
- Break and beat the egg then set it aside, it will be needed soon
- Roll out the dough on a flat surface and make round cuts on them using a dough cutter, remove the excess dough
- Scoop some of the prepared chicken pie filling into the center of the round dough
- Then go on and rub the egg on the inside edge of the round cuts. Close the dough and use a fork to close tight. A pie cutter filler utensil can equally do this, so if you have one follow the instructions for it to cut, fill and close the chicken pies
- Place the finished pie in the oven tray and repeat the process for the remaining dough and filling until dough is exhausted
- Rub the egg on the surface of the finished chicken to give it a shiny texture when done
- Place the oven tray in the preheated oven and bake at 18oC (350oF) until it turns light brown. When you notice it is golden, remove the pies from the oven in order not to get too brown and dry up
This is how the chicken pie is made. I hope you this post find it helpful. Follow up on more recipes. And for the Chicken Pies, you can feel free to use the half the quantity of the stated ingredients if you are making in small quantity. I hope you enjoyed reading this my article, you could equally check out my other article on How To Prepare Nsala Soup, Igbos call it “Ofe Nsala”. I know you would like it.
Click here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.
Click here to Join Recharge and Get Paid
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria
Copyright Warning!We work really hard and put a lot of effort and resources into our content, providing our readers with plagiarism-free articles, original and high-quality texts. Contents on this website may not be copied, republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. Proper acknowledgement include, but not limited to (a) Proper referencing in the case of usage in research, magazine, brochure, or academic purposes, (b)"FAIR USE" in the case of re-publication on online media. About possible consequences you can read here: What are the consequences of copyright infringement? In an effort to protect our intellectual properties, we may report your website to Google without prior notice and your website be removed from search engines and you may receive a strike. All contents are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).