There have been several debates and arguments about why Nigeria is called the giant of Africa. Some people are of the opinion that Nigeria is only a giant in words and not in deeds.
Others believe that the country has out shined other countries in Africa in several areas and deserves the title. Below are verified facts that confirm Nigeria deserves and has earned the title of Africa’s foremost country.
1. Population: Nigeria is the most populous country in the African continent and the most populated black race in the world.
The country has a staggering population of over 180 million people. Nigeria is also the 8th most populous in the world — after China, India, USA, Indonesia, Brazil, Pakistan, and Russia. The country also has one of the largest populations of youth in the world.
2. Although Bloomberg announced in August 2016 that South Africa has overtaken Nigeria as Africa’s biggest economy, recent reports from IMF confirms that Nigeria has reclaimed the foremost position in October in spite of the current economic recession in the country.
According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Nigeria’s GDP stood around $415.08 billion in October while South Africa at $280.36 billion sparking discussions of the nation standing firm against the storm.
3. Nigeria also has Africa’s largest university educated population of approximately 35 million.
4. Technology-wise, Nigeria is the first African country to launch a satellite into space.
5. Nigeria equally leads in Africa in terms of the number of internet users. As at 30-June-2016, the country had a staggering number of 97,210,000 internet users. In the second position was Eygpt with 34,800,000.
6. In terms of military strength, Nigeria possesses one of the top 3 most powerful military forces in Africa.
7. It is also the first country in the continent to have an indigenous automobile manufacturing industry (Innoson)
8. Nigeria has often assumed leadership roles in Africa , playing a “fatherly” role in the continent’s politics, providing economic support and peacekeeping assistance when and where necessary.
9. Nigerians are likewise considered the most travelled and exposed people in Africa. It is believed that Nigerians are present in every country in the world.
With these points and more, Nigeria continues to function as a leader in the African continent, economically, politically and in other areas.
👉 Get Free ₦1,000 plus 5% - 15% interests on savings and over 25% return on investments: Create a Free Account on PiggyVest
👉 Invest in US Stocks such as Google, Netflix, Amazon etc. Get free $100 worth of US Stocks. Signup here at Passfolio Buy and Sell Bitcoin in Nigeria - Register for free on Luno
Click here to see the latest Study Abroad Scholarships and Guides
Click here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.