Here in this post, we are going to discuss in great detail the Functions Of Educational Agencies In Nigeria We hope you find this information educating.
Every nation around to world understands the importance of education, that is why, education can play a significant role in the development of a nation and as well, influence the future generations of a country for the better.
Nigeria, as a country, knows of the importance of education in the development of Nigeria hence, in its quest to improve education in the country, the Nigerian government has created educational departments and educational agencies for the purpose of managing the technical, and resource distribution, and quality control as well as, research aspects of the Nigerian culture. That out of the way, in this article, I will be discussing with you the functions of these educational agencies in Nigeria.
What are The Educational Agencies?
The educational agencies are agencies that are created by the government for the purpose of making local training and courses much more efficient.
These educational agencies are quite essential and necessary in Nigerian educational system because it is imperative that the whole educational system in the country be run effectively and smoothly, and the coordination and management of the sector requires an efficient approach.
Read Also: Definition Of Civic Education In Nigeria
Educational Agencies In Nigeria:
Nigerians may which to know how many educational agencies are in the country, from findings, there are about seven (7) educational agencies in Nigeria, and these agencies are:
- National Universities Commission (NUC) and
- Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and
- National Teachers Institute (NTI) and
- West African Examinations Council (WAEC) and
- National Examination Council (NECO) and
- National Business and Technical Examinations Board (NATEB) and
- Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN)
Functions Of Educational Agencies:
The focus of this article is on the functions of the educational agencies in Nigeria nevertheless, while the primary responsibility of all the agencies of education in the country is on the implementation of administrative tasks, and implementation of goals for the purpose of providing training for the students, however, each educational agency has its many functions to perform. And as we continue in this article, we will be discussing the functions of each of these educational agencies.
Functions Of The National Universities Commission NUC:
The national universities commission NUC was established immediately after Nigeria’s independence by the British government in 1962. The commission is saddling with the following responsibilities:
1. To ensure the approval of all academic programmes in universities and colleges
2. To ensure the approval for the establishment of colleges and universities as well as their educational plans
3. To make sure that academic curriculum is of high quality
4. To offer support to higher education institutions in Nigeria
Functions Of The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board JAMB
The joint admissions and matriculation board was founded in 1978. Its main functions include:
1. To conduct UTME, that is, Unified Tertiary Matriculation Exams
2. To ensure that every candidate meets all the requirements to take UTME
3. To fixe the dates, and duration, as well as, test-type of UTME examinations
Functions Of National Teachers Institute NTI
The national teachers’ institute was established with specific functions, which include:
1. To train teachers
2. To help teachers to get new certifications Of
3. To offer distance education
4. To offer postgraduate educational opportunities, as well as an examination to all the graduate-level teachers
5. To conduct examinations for teachers
6. To create new educational programmes and also research ways of improving education in the country.
Functions Of West African Examinations Council WAEC
The West African examination council is quite an essential educational agency, recognized across entire West Africa. It functions are:
1. To organize O’ Level examination for West African students.
2. To decide on which of the examination are necessary for school students, who hailed from different nations in West Africa
3. To issue O’level certificates to all the successful students in West Africa.
4. To ensure educational standards during the examination.
5. To promote education and the students’ focus beyond WAEC
Functions Of National Examinations Council NECO
The national examination council is one of the famous agencies in Nigeria, and was established with the following functions:
1. To onduct BECE, whose full meaning is Basic Education Certificate Examination
2. To organize NCEE, whose full meaning is National Common Entrance Examination
3. To oversee SSCE, whose full meaning is Senior School Certificate Examination
Functions Of National Business And Technical Examinations Board NABTEB:
The national business and technical examination board NABTEB an educational agency in Nigeria, and was established in the year, 1992. The agency’s official portal stated that the agency was founded by the Nigerian government in order to perform the following functions:
1. To ensure that, all the various craft examination conducted in Nigeria followed the country’s policy on education.
2. To conduct examination and also award;
- NTC (National Technical Certificate), and
- ANTC (Advanced National Technical Certificate), and
- MTC (Modular Trade Certificate), and
- NBC (National Business Certificate) as well as,
- ANBC (Advanced National Business Certificate) to Nigerians.
3. To conduct an examination on behalf of other Nigerian agencies
4. To perform entrance examination for students who may want to study in technical institutions and technical colleges
5. To issue examinations results
6. To collect and monitor technical institutions’ assessment
7. To share valuable information on research and results, and statistics, etc.
Functions Of The Teachers Registration Council Of Nigeria TRCN
The Teacher registration council of Nigeria TRCN is one of the newest educational agencies in the country, established in 1993, and it is working under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Education. Although its key function is to provide full control over the teachers profession, the TRCN functions include:
1. To determine who should be considered a teacher in Nigeria
2. To create acceptable teaching standards in Nigeria
3. To regulate the type of skills and the type of knowledge each teacher has to possess
4. To make sure every teacher is registered in Nigeria
Read Also: Benefits Of citizenship Education In Nigeria
From what we have discussed above, we can see that, the educational agencies in Nigeria are playing a vital role in the development of Nigeria, and have served as the primary source of creativity, and innovations, as well as knowledge in the country.
Click here to Join Recharge and Get Paid
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria