In this guide, I will show you How to Make Nigerian Grilled Chicken.
Grilled chicken is a special delicacy for most Nigerian families as it involves roasting chicken in fire. And this method tends to give the chicken a unique taste which is different from the usual deep fried chicken.
It is best enjoyed when done outdoors, at family get together, birthday parties, picnics, during festivities, like Christmas, Salah, Easter celebrations and so on.
Read Also: How To Make Nigerian Chicken Pie
Grilling is a method used in cooking which involves heat applied to the surface of food, either from above or below.
In as much as chicken are most times grilled outdoors, you can also grill your chicken in your kitchen using your electric oven, which equally comes out well.
Grilling of chicken is not just limited to Nigeria but is a worldwide practice. There is hardly a corner of the street in big cities that you can go to without seeing a grilling point. But every part has their own special recipe and method for grilling chicken.
Grilled chicken has its own special ingredients and spices but you can also garnish it to your taste. In this article I am going to be explain how you can grill chicken the Nigerian way using your kitchen oven and the common spices you can source just anywhere in Nigeria. I will further explain the common mistakes you can easily make when grilling a chicken.
Read Also: How to Prepare Chicken Pie in Nigeria
Materials needed for grilling chicken
a. Oven (for indoor grilling)
b. Charcoal grill (for outdoor grilling)
The different types of grills
- Gas grill; this type of grill uses gas as the source of heat
- Charcoal grill; this type of grill uses charcoal briquette as source of heat for grilling
- Electric grills; this type is powered by electricity and produces heat through hot plates
- Portable grills; any of the types mentioned above can be made in portable form for easy movement eg for picnics, family hang outs etc
Ingredients for spicing the chicken
b. Little garlic
c. Ground pepper
f. Stock cube (maggi/ star/ knorr)
g. Salt to taste
h. Tomatoes ketchup
Read Also: How to Make Nigerian Egg Fried Rice
How to prepare the chicken for grilling
a. Wash the chicken properly with clean water.
b. Allow the water to dry out of the chicken
c. Cut the chicken into desired sizes.
d. Using your hands massage the thyme, curry, stock cube, salt to taste, then tomatoes ketchup into the chicken, making sure that every part is touched with the spice.
e. Allow the spice to dry and stick to the body of the chicken. You can achieve this by allowing the chicken to stay for few minutes before placing it in the oven.
g. Arrange all the grilled chicken into the oven and set the temperature to about 200 degrees and grill the chicken for 30 minutes.
Another method used in grilling chicken
a. Wash your chicken properly with clean water and put it into a pot.
b. Cut the chicken into desired sizes.
c. Put into the chicken the appropriate amount of spices to taste.
d. Pour water to fill up to the level of the chicken (avoid pouring too much water because it could hide the taste of the chicken)
e. Put on the gas and allow the chicken to cook for about 20 to 25 minutes (avoid overcooking the chicken as it will still be grilled in the oven).
f. As soon as the chicken is done, drain out the stock and allow it to dry for a while before taking it into the oven to get grilled.
g. Set the temperature to about 200 degrees and grill the chicken for about 30 minutes.
Read Also: How to start Fast Food Business in Nigeria
Importance of grilling chicken
- You don’t have to deep fry it for a long time.
- It saves you the risk of getting the hot oil spilled on your skin.
- It saves you a good amount of oil, which you would have used in frying the chicken.
- It gives you a more delicious taste which is different from the taste the fried chicken will give you.
Benefits of eating chicken
- Chicken is a good source of protein.
- The vitamin A present in chicken helps to boost eye sight.
- Chicken aids in bone and teeth formation
- Chicken helps to boost the body’s immunity and general metabolism.
- Vitamin B in chicken helps to protect us against cancer.
- Eating chicken protects the skin from damage.
Common mistakes you can easily make when you grill chicken
1. Avoid grilling the chicken at a very high temperature: it is very important to take note of this fact because a mistake in temperature can easily prevent you from getting the desired result.
When you grill chicken at a temperature that is too high it only makes the skin of the chicken to get burn and most times the inner part of the chicken is still half cooked, hence to prevent this error from happened, set the oven to a medium heat. This will allow the chicken to get done at an even temperature.
2. Always add the right spices at their appropriate amount before putting it on the grill: not rubbing the stock cube, salt, pepper, thyme and other spices on the chicken before grilling it can prevent the chicken from achieving the expected taste. Always spice during the grilling process, as you turn the chicken side by side you add more spices if needed.
3. Make sure equal amount of heat spreads through the grilled chicke: you can achieve this by turning the chicken side by side during the grilling process, so as to prevent one side from getting burnt than other areas of the chicken. A perfectly grilled chicken should have a golden brown appearance.
Read Also: How to Cook Nigerian Goat Meat Stew
4. Knowing the right chicken to grill: the type of chicken you grill will most times affect the final result of grilled chicken, I prefer to use a hen instead of a cockerel, because it taste much better when grilled and spiced properly.
In case you have never considered grilling chicken before you can do that now because at this point I believe you already have a good idea of what grilling is all about.AD: Click here to Read Latest School News, Jobs, Scholarships
AD:Learn Internet Business from Scratch: Register Here . Training is 100% FREE via email Only!
AD: Online Shopping - Electronics, Phones, Laptops - ShopDirect.NG