In this post, I will show you How to make Nigerian pizza. See the pizza recipes, ingredients and how to prepare it. Pizza is not originally Nigerian but with the globalization going on right now I’ll say it’s a wonderful time to be alive because small town Nigerians like myself can now enjoy and also make wonderful pizza without having to travel all the way to Italy.
Pizza however is still a relatively expensive snack but worth every last kobo if you ask me. Pizza is basically hard bread, cheese and whatever topping you please.
I love dishes that offer variety because you can personalize to your individual taste at every point in time and it also translates to that you can almost never get bored of delicious pizza.
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigeria Pizza
Pizza may be a bit odd tasting to a truly Nigerian palate because it’s unlike any of our local or continental dishes, which is also part of what makes it so amazing. Once one is able to overcome the strangeness of the first bite then you’ll find yourself craving more.
Pizza is packed with calories because it’s rich in carbs, oil, cheese and meat depending on your choice for topping. Although it’s definitely not a ready choice for someone trying to lose weight or someone who is on a diet, I think everyone deserves to indulge in some pizza once in a while.
In this recipe I will be describing how to make a 12-inch diameter pizza with a thick crust. You might decide to use less ingredients if you are hoping to make a smaller pizza or one with a thinner crust.
All the ingredients and materials used in this recipe can be gotten from a large supermarket. I would suggest shoprite or any similar establishment.
Note also that pizza is originally made on pizza stones and baked in clay ovens which, even though they might be readily available in Italian cottages, are non-existent in Nigeria so we’ll be using an oven tray and a regular oven.
Read Also: How to Produce and Sell Chin-Chin in Nigeria
Ingredients for pizza bread
a. 300g plain all-purpose flour
b. 3g or 2 teaspoons of yeast
c. 4 tablespoons olive oil
d. 150ml of warm water
e. 1 teaspoon of salt
f. 1 teaspoon of sugar
h. INGREDIENTS for topping
i. 250g mozzarella cheese
j. 4 tablespoons of tomato stew or fresh tomatoes
k. 2 mushrooms
l. 2 tablespoons of minced meat
m. 1 red bell pepper
n. 1 green pepper
o. 1 medium sized carrot
p. Half of a cabbage
q. KITCHEN TOOLS
r. Kitchen towels
s. Plastic film
t. Pizza cutter
Read Also: How To Make Nigerian Meat Pie
1. Heat up an amount of water because you will require warm water along the line.
2. Sift flour into a large bowl, one which is large enough to fit all the flour even when it’s been mixed to form batter. Do this thoroughly to eliminate any lumps and leave the flour free for mixing.
3. Mix in the yeast and stir properly to ensure its been well mixed with the flour.
4. Add salt and mix thoroughly. Stir in the olive oil and sugar.
5. Mix thoroughly to ensure everything is everything is evenly mixed.
6. Add the warm water and begin to stir with a spatula. When the water has been sufficiently incorporated into the flour switch to your hands and mix the dough thoroughly to achieve a smooth mix.
7. Mix a little more, cover with a plastic film or a kitchen towel and set aside in a warm place to rest for about an hour [probably an off oven].
8. While the dough is resting you can begin working on the toppings.
1. Wash and chop the mushrooms.
2. Make a tomato stew using fresh tomato paste and vegetable oil.
3. Fry the tomatoes in the oil for about 10 minutes or at least the tang taste of raw tomatoes is gone.
4. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Fry the minced meat in vegetable oil for a few minutes and set aside.
6. Wash and chop both the red bell pepper and the green bell peppers.
7. Wash the carrot, scrap and dice the carrot.
8. Wash the cabbage thoroughly and shred into small pieces with a grater.
Read Also: How To Make Nigerian Sandwich
Preparing The Oven Tray
Cover the oven tray with margarine and the go over the margarine with a lot of flour. When you have ensured that the oven tray is well covered, remove the excess flour.
Placing Dough On The Oven Tray
a. When the one hour is over, remove the dough.
b. Place the dough on the middle of the oven tray and work it outwards and in a circular manner to achieve the 12-inch diameter.
c. The flour might be a little difficult to move around but keep going at it till you achieve the desired circumference.
d. Cover again with the plastic film and return to the warm oven for another 45 minutes to raise a little bit more.
e. After forty-five minutes remove the oven tray, move the dough around a little more to set the circumference better.
a. Put a little olive oil over the dough.
b. Spread the tomato stew over the dough as much as you like.
c. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over it.
d. Sprinkle the minced meat and mushrooms too.
a. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
b. Place the pizza in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
c. At the end of the 25 minutes, take out the pizza and sprinkle on the peppers and whatever other vegetable you choose.
d. Put the pizza back in the oven for another 2 minutes and then remove finally. You wouldn’t want to leave it in too long or the vegetables would be over cooked.
e. Cut into 6 or 8 slices with the pizza cutter.
f. The pizza is now ready to be eaten preferable while it’s warm. Pizza can be enjoyed with any cold drink.
Read Also: How To Make Nigerian Akara
Note: These toppings on this recipe were chosen based on my personal preference and you can put nearly anything as a pizza topping as long as you would love to taste it on a pizza.
I kept the seasoning very simple but sometimes I could experiment with a little ginger and garlic for the tomato stew. Ketchup is also a pretty popular topping used on pizzas. The only topping essentials are mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce or stew.AD: Click here to Read Latest School News, Jobs, Scholarships
AD:Learn Internet Business from Scratch: Register Here . Training is 100% FREE via email Only!
AD: Online Shopping - Electronics, Phones, Laptops - ShopDirect.NG