Loan Forgiveness Programs for Nurses – Nursing can be considered one of the noblest and rewarding professions in the world, but qualifying to become a nurse can work out to be quite expensive. The tuition fee for the Bachelor of Science – Nursing (BSN) can cost anywhere from $40,000 up to $100,000 depending on the institution.
For this reason, there are a number of banks and other financial institutions that offer student loans for people that are aspiring to join the medical fraternity. Nursing college can work out to be quite expensive when you take into consideration all the other expenses you will incur while studying. For this reason, there are a number of institutions that have created loan forgiveness programs for nurses. These programs are great for nursing students as it allows them to get out of debt as soon as possible as start creating their own lives within this noble career.
How does a Loan Forgiveness Program for Nurses Work?
Loan forgiveness programs are quite simple. The ask the borrower to fulfill certain requirements in exchange for a partial amount of the loan to be waived off. There are a number of institutions that have created these programs in order to reduce the financial burden on healthcare workers.
These programs usually require the borrower to pay a portion of the loan amount and work with an employer over a predetermined period of time to qualify for the loan waiver. Let’s take a look at how this benefits hospitals and nurses alike.
Benefits to Nurses
There are a number of benefits that loan forgiveness programs have for nurses. Let’s take a look at some,
- Loan forgiveness programs for nurses reduce the overall cost of education and training for nurses and take a big weight off their finances.
- Since most of these programs are designed to ensure nurses get a lot of experience, it improves their job prospects.
- Fulfilling the requirements for a loan forgiveness program can positively impact the credit score of these nurses, making it easier for them to be eligible for loans in the future.
Benefits for Hospitals
- Loan forgiveness programs for nurses require nurses to work with an organization continuously for a period of time, this reduces the churn or employee turnover in hospitals reducing their expenses on training new staff.
- Nurses that have experience in a particular hospital for a period of time are familiar with the procedures of the hospital and can work more efficiently.
- The reduced financial burden on nurses allows them to perform their duties more efficiently.
Loan Forgiveness Programs for Teachers
Teaching is one of the most important professions in any society. It allows young minds to explore their full potential and creates avenues for them to display their creativity and contribute to society in an effective way. For this reason, people that aspire to become teachers should not have a heavy financial burden to carry as it is one of the most critical professions in any nation. There are a number of programs that have been developed to reduce the financial burden on teachers that are looking to start their career. One of these programs is loan forgiveness programs for teachers.
How Does a Loan Forgiveness Program for Teachers Work?
Teacher loan forgiveness programs allow a teacher to get a certain amount of their student loan to be forgiven or canceled if the candidate fulfills certain requirements. Apply for a teacher loan forgiveness program is quite straightforward. Depending on the type of loan you have applied for the teachers loan forgiveness program defers. If you have a Federal student loan the criteria to fulfill for a loan forgiveness program is different from that if you have a private loan.
The eligibility criteria for a teacher loan forgiveness program are:
You will need 5 consecutive years of teaching experience in a low-income elementary or secondary school.
Only Federal Direct and Stafford loans qualify for this program.
Applicants can be forgiven an amount up to $17,500.
How to Apply for a Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program?
To apply for the teacher loan forgiveness program you will need to check whether your institution qualifies on the official Student Aid website. If your school qualifies for this program you will need to follow these instructions.
The amount of loan forgiveness you receive depends on the subject you teach. For example, if you teach Science, Math or Special education to secondary level students an amount up to $17,500 may be waived off. Elementary school teachers and teachers of other subjects may receive loan forgiveness up to $5,000.
- You will need to apply for the teacher loan forgiveness program with your loan provider after you complete 5 consecutive years as a teacher.
- The administrative team or the principal of the school will need to attest and fill a portion of the form.
- If you have work experience from multiple schools during the course of 5 years, the principals or administrative staff of each school will need to attest and fill out that section.
Loan forgiveness programs are a great way to quickly get yourself out of debt and while giving you an opportunity to strengthen your career and skills. There are thousands of applicants for these programs every year and these programs have helped create a great launchpad for your workers.Click here to see the latest Study Abroad Scholarships and Guides
Click here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.
Click here to Join Recharge and Get Paid
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria