See the popular natural resources in Abia states and their economic values. These resources can be exploited for exportation and national use.
Abia state popularly known as “GOD’S OWN STATE” is a state in the south eastern part of Nigeria richly endowed with variety of natural resources yet untapped. Natural resources are resources that are not created by mankind; they are useful raw materials found within earth. The Popular natural resources in Abia State include:
Top 10 Popular Natural Resources in Abia State
This is the most utilized of this natural resources in Abia state and contributes over 35% of its GDP is crude oil. Crude oil which is composed of hydrocarbon and other organic materials can be found in oil fields at Imo River, Obuzo, Owaza, Ngboko, Nkali, Odogwa, Obeakpu and Isimiri.
Uses of Crude oil
1. It is used for diesel production which is used to fuel heavy machineries and generators
2. It is used for heating oil which is used to heat building.
3. It is used for gasoline production(which fuel cars)
All these by-products are either used in the country or exported.
In Ewe-Arochukwu LGA and southwestern part of Isuikwato LGA is a huge deposit of Limestone. Limestone which is one of the building blocks of the construction industry is a sedimentary rock consisting largely of the mineral calcite and aragonite which has the same composition CaCO3.
Uses of Limestone
1. It is used in producing cement by firing it in a kiln with crushed shale.
2. It serves as a liming agent in ponds and lakes in order to reduce its acidity and also a soil treatment agent.
3. It is adopted in sugar refining,
4. Crushed limestone is used for smelting iron ore. It serves as a fluxing agent in steel industry.
5. It serves as animal feed filler. Chickens need calcium carbonate to lay strong egg shells and this is done through a dietary supplement know as “chickens grits”. Milked cattle are also fed with calcium carbonate to replace lost calcium.
6. When crushed to fine particles, it serves as a weather and heat resistant coating on asphalt-impregnated roofing.
Gypsum, a mineral with great industry use but largely underdeveloped in Nigeria can be found in Lokpaukwu (Nneochi LGA) and Umunneochi LGA. Gypsum is a soft sulfate mineral composed of calcium sulfate dihydrate with the chemical formula CaSO42H2O.
Uses of Gypsum
1. It is serves as fertilizer or soil additive in order to reduce the alkalinity effect and improve the soil workability and moisture reception.
2. It serves as the main constituent of wallboard and blackboard chalk
3. It is essential in making plaster of Paris and surgical cast.
4. It can also be used as paint filler and ornamental stone.
5.Gypsum is used as a dietary source of calcium, control the clarity of wine, water condition for brewing beer and food additive.
6. It serves as a color additive in cosmetics and drug production.
7. It is used to settle dirt and clay particles in turbid water without affecting the aquatic life.
Another popular natural resources found in Abia state is Kaolin which is a clay mineral with the chemical composition Al2Si2O5. Umuahia South, Ikwuano, Isikwuato, Umunneochi, Ohafia and Arochukwu Local Government Areas have proven sites for commercial viability of kaolin.
Uses of kaolin
1. It is used widely for the production of paints as the chemical compound in it aids in reducing titanium dioxide and maintaining proper dispersion of the paint
2. Kaolin is an important raw material in the paper industry.The coating property of kaolin helps to improve brightness, smoothness printability and gloss. It is a cost reducing raw material.
3. It serves as a valuable component in china, porcelain and other tableware. Kaolin hardness, gloss and colour are ideal characteristics of such product.
4. Kaolin is also used in making highest grade of pottery.
5.Rubber tyres are filled with kaolin in order to improve its performance level and beauty. It is also used for cable insulators.
5.Lead and Zinc
These natural resources can be in Lokpaukwu (Nneochi LGA). Lead and zinc is made up of lead and zinc sulphide respectively.
Uses of Lead
1. Lead is used for x-ray equipments as it protects medical practitioners from the rays which are very dangerous.
2. It is an important component of motor car batteries and bullets.
Uses of Zinc
1. It is a metal used as a cheap form of roofing. It is used to plate sheets of corrugated iron and steel.
2. Zinc is also used in making torch batteries.
Copper is a soft, malleable, and ductile metal with very high thermal and electrical conductivity that exist in Lokpaukwu (Nneochi LGA) of Abia State.
Uses of Copper
1.Copper serves as a good conductor of electricity which makes it an important component of the electricity industry.
2. Most cooking pots are made with copper as it heats up very quickly.
3.Many countries use a mixture of copper and others metals for their coins
Laterite, a soil and rock type rich in iron and aluminium are mostly of rusty-red coloration, because of high iron oxide content is in all Local government area of Abia state. Although mostly used for surfacing of road has other uses.
Uses of Laterite
1. Laterite is used for the construction of roads, bridges, buildings. It is used for cobblestone, landscaping stone and road aggregating.
2. Some pots used in the kitchen are also made with laterite.
3. It is adopted as decorative aggregates, flooring, interior decoration, building stone, As facing stone and garden decoration.
4.Commercial uses of Laterite include oil and gas reservoir, a source of bauxite and in aquarium.
5. it is used for artifacts, monuments and sculpture making.
Bentonite is an absorbent aluminium phyllosilicate clay consisting mostly of montmorillonite found in the capital of Abia.
Uses of Bentonite
1. The unique properties of bentonite yield green sand moulds with good flowability, compatibility and thermal stability for the production of high quality castings. This is used as a bonding material in the preparation of moulding and production of iron, steel and non ferrous metal.
2. It is used as a mud constituent for oil and well drilling.
3. It is used in agriculture for cat litter and animal feed litter. It serves as a porous ceramic carrier for herbicides and pesticides.
4. Bentonite is an important component of detergents for the removal of impurities impurities.
It is an inorganic acid; a trace gas. It can be found in Amaeke in Umuahia and Ewe in Arochukwu LGA. It is used in Fertiliser, detergent and other chemical industries.
10. Tar sands
Tar sands also know as oil shale are a combination of bitumen, water, clay and sand found in Ugwueme-Lokpanta axis in Nneochi LGA. Tar sands are mined and process to generate oil similar to oil pumped from oil wells.
Most of these natural resources in Abia state have been left untapped and underutilized. This error on the part of the government can serve as a blessing for you the readers.
New business partnership with national and foreign companies can be formed for the exploration of these resources which has so many uses. You might not start earning the huge income you expect immediately but with time you will get there.
You can start thinking of the natural resources from the ones given above best suited to your taste for exploration.Click here to see the latest work from home jobs
Click here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.
Click here to Join Recharge and Get Paid
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria
Copyright Warning!We work really hard and put a lot of effort and resources into our content, providing our readers with plagiarism-free articles, original and high-quality texts. Contents on this website may not be copied, republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. Proper acknowledgement include, but not limited to (a) Proper referencing in the case of usage in research, magazine, brochure, or academic purposes, (b)"FAIR USE" in the case of re-publication on online media. About possible consequences you can read here: What are the consequences of copyright infringement? In an effort to protect our intellectual properties, we may report your website to Google without prior notice and your website be removed from search engines and you may receive a strike. All contents are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).