In this post, we guide you on how to study Computer Science in USA from Nigeria – See the step-by-step guide, application requirements, how to apply, visa information and more.
With over 5,000 universities and colleges, the USA is the global hub of international education. Each year, tens of thousands of international students apply to study in universities and college all over the USA. One of the courses increasing amount of foreign students are applying for is computer science.
Do you want to do an undergraduate in computer science? Do you want to do higher studies in computer science? If yes, The United States is the destination of choice. According to statistics, seven out of the ten top universities for computer science education in the world is in the USA. This tells you the reason behind why the majority of international students regard the USA as the centre of global IT knowledge and continue to play it at the top of their study abroad destinations.
If you are desirous of earning a computer degree in Uncle Sam’s country, then this article is meant for you. Find out here all you need to know about tuition costs, admission criteria, student visa requirements, scholarship opportunities, duration of study, and other bits of information necessary to your plans to study computer science in the USA.
Read Also: How to Study business in USA from Nigeria
Advantages and Benefits of studying Computer Science in USA
As one of the biggest, and most popular, destinations for global education, the USA has a lot to offer by way of international students who wish to study abroad. Find out some of the benefits of studying computer science in the USA:
- Learn IT knowledge from the experts in the field
- The scope of computer science in USA is broad
- Universities in USA enjoy some of the highest global rankings
- High standard of living
- Global recognition for your computer science degree
- Very safe and secure environment
- Culturally diverse with a rich history of multiculturalism
- Endless employment opportunities in the computer and IT industry after your education.
- Wide variety of computer science-related courses to choose from (network programming, robotics, AI, informatics etc.)
- Interaction with students from virtually every country on the planet
- You get to build a lifelong network of friends
Study in USA – Language of delivery
The USA is a native English-speaking nation, meaning English is the language of instruction in classrooms. This makes it particularly appealing and attractive to international students.
Top Universities to Study Computer Science in USA
There are so many computer science courses in US. Below is the best university to study computer science in the United States:
- University of Washington.
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Princeton University.
- Harvard University.
- University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
- Carnegie Mellon University.
- Stanford University.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
- Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech)
Cost of studying Computer Science in USA
Tuition fees in the USA for computer science education differ from university to university. While some universities are a bit expensive for international, there are some who are considered low tuition institutions, charging around $28,910- $30,800 per academic year. You need to consider applying for scholarship to help augment the cost of study.
Admission Requirments to Study Computer Science in USA for Nigerian Students
You might want to ask, what are the requirements to study computer science? To gain entry into an American university to study computer science, you need any of the following qualifications: See the requirements to study computer science in USA below;
- For a diploma or degree in computer science: A secondary school certificate (WAEC or NECO/GCE or their equivalent) with a high score level in the science subjects;
- For a Masters in Computer Science in USA for international students: A bachelor’s degree in a related field, CV, statement of purpose.
- Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL 500 or IELTS 5) for English-based classes.
US Student Visa Requirements and Application Process
You will need a visa to study in the USA as an international student. Apply early, maybe 18 months before the time you are due to travel so that your application is processed on time. Schedule an appointment with the local American embassy in your home country with the following documents:
- Letter of admission from an accredited university in the $ USA
- Filled out student visa application form
- Visa application fee (US$160)
- Proof of accommodation in the USA.
- Proof of round trip flight ticket
- Clean police report
- $200 SEVIS fee receipt
- Evidence of financial sufficiency to cover your stay in the USA (US$ $10,000-$12,000 a year).
- Passport photographs
- Proof of proficiency in English (TOEFL or IELTS)
- passport (valid for at least six months)
- Cover letter, stating reason of visit
- Proof of tuition fee payment (either a bank draft or evidence of scholarship)
Scholarships available to Study Computer Science in USA
You will find a range of scholarships for international students that you can choose from. Below are some of them:
- Avvo Scholarship Program.
- Berkeley College International Student Scholarships.
- Annual CGTrader Scholarship.
- Cappex American Scholarships.
Duration of study for Computer Science in USA
A Bachelor’s degree in computer science in the USA typically takes 3 years to finish. For master’s, it’s an 18-24 months program, while a PhD is around three years of intense studies.Buy and Sell Bitcoin in Nigeria - Register for free on Luno
Click here to see the latest Study Abroad Scholarships and Guides
Click here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.