Here in this post, we are going to bring to you 10 Functions of Universal Basic Education Commission. We hope you find this informative.
It has been generally certified and agreed upon that basic education is very important to both human and national development and as such, every effort should be put in place to ensure that qualitative and sound education should be provided to the populace in order to achieve the basic objectives which are social, political and economic development.
The major problems that most developing nations experience is poverty, illiteracy, health-related issues which gave rise to the millennium development goals in which its most important goal is to see to the eradication of poverty and for that to be achieved, the universal basic education programme had to be introduced.
The universal basic education programme is a nine-year basic education programme which was launched and executed by the Federal Government and the people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to eradicate illiteracy, poverty, ignorance as well as to stimulate and accelerate national development political consciousness and national integration.
The universal basic education programme was introduced in 1999 by the Federal Government of Nigeria as a reform programme aimed at providing greater access to quality basic education in Nigeria as a whole.
The major focus of this article is the universal basic education commission and its functions which would be discussed in the subsequent paragraphs.
The universal basic education commission is an agency set up by the Federal Government charged with the responsibility of organizing all aspects of the universal basic education programme implementation.
The universal basic education commission ensures that poverty, ignorance and illiteracy are eradicated through basic education programme in Nigeria.
The vision of the universal basic education commission is to be a world class education intervention and regulation agency that sees to the promotion of uniform, qualitative and functional basic education in Nigeria.
The universal basic education commission is aimed at coordinating, monitoring and intervening in order to progressively improve the capacity of states, local government agencies and communities in the provision of unfettered access to high quality and sound basic education in Nigeria.
The universal basic education commission thrives to see that the Education For All initiative and the Millennium Development Goals are achieved by condoning involvement from all interested parties to help make it a reality.
The universal basic education commission tracks the utilization of the Universal Basic Education intervention and state counterparts funds to ensure its proper utilization in the areas of improvement in the educational sector to achieve high-quality basic education throughout the country.
Read Also: 10 Importance of Universal Basic Education
The goals of the Universal Basic Education Programme is to ensure free formal education, uninterrupted nine years of primary and junior secondary school education, emphasis on curriculum diversification and relevance to effectively and adequately cover individual and community needs and aspirations, introduction of rudiments of computer literacy, appropriate continuous teacher professional development and all these goals can only be achieved through the intervention and coordination of the Universal Basic Education Commission.
The core values of the Universal Basic Education Commission includes honesty and accountability, integrity and transparency, teamwork and commitment to discharge their duties to promote functional, qualitative and consistent basic education.
Every organizations have functions they perform and the Universal Basic Education Commission is not left out. To ensure that the Universal Basic Education Programme is well implemented, the Universal Basic Education Commission functions have to perform efficiently and effectively.
For the Universal Basic Education Programme to be successfully implemented, it requires a collective approach as the Universal Basic Education Programme is community-based and stakeholder-driven in nature.
The need for the commission to advocate, sensitive and mobilize stakeholders especially community members to partake in the implementation process of the Universal Basic Education Programme is highly suitable to ensure the free delivery of high-quality basic education to the general public.
10 Functions of the Universal Basic Education Commission
The functions of the Universal Basic Education Commission are:
- The Universal Basic Education Commission ensures that the UBE programme is effectively implemented in order to eradicate illiteracy, ignorance and poverty in the country.
- The Universal Basic Education Commission formulate the policy guidelines for the successful operation of the universal basic education programme in the federation.
- The Universal Basic Education Commission prescribe the minimum standards for basic education throughout Nigeria in line with the National policy on education and the directive of the Nation council on education and ensure the effective monitoring of the standards.
- The Universal Basic Education Commission ensures that funds disbursed for the implementation of the UBE programme are effectively and efficiently utilized.
- The Universal Basic Education Commission carries out in concert with the states and local governments at regular intervals, a personnel audit of teaching and non-teaching staff of all basic education institutions in Nigeria.
- The Universal Basic Education Commission carries out mass mobilization, advocacy and sensitization of the general public and enters into partnerships with communities and all stakeholders in basic education with the aim of achieving the overall objectives of the compulsory free universal basic education in Nigeria.
- The Universal Basic Education Commission enquire into and advise the Federal Government on the funding and orderly development of basic education in Nigeria.
- The Universal Basic Education Commission presents periodic progress reports on the implementation of the Universal Basic Education to the president through the minister.
- The Universal Basic Education Commission receives a block grant from the Federal Government and allocates to the State and Local Government and other relevant agencies implementing the Universal Basic Education in accordance with an approved formula as may be laid down by the board of the commission and approved by the Federal Executive Council.
- The Universal Basic Education Commission establish a basic education data bank and conduct research on basic education in Nigeria.
The Universal Basic Education Commission is important in the effective implementation of the Universal Basic Education Programme that would bring about prosperity to the country in terms of alleviation of poverty, eradication of illiteracy and ignorance and the drastic reduction in the number of school dropouts. It also saddled with the responsibility of ensuring that quality basic education is available to the populace.
Click here to Join Recharge and Get Paid
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria