A Brief Overview
With the rate of ICT advancement, every school, offices or organizational building is equipped with one computer or more. These computers while helping to make works faster, less stressful and easier also break down from time to time. Hence, the need for a computer repairer.
Computer repair business feeds when computer systems develop faults. It could be a hardware problem, a software problem or both. Either way, to repair them costs money.
So, considering the number of people using computer systems daily in this country, going into computer repairs in Nigeria is a lucrative thing to do.
Read Also: How to Start Computer Repair Business
Profitability and Market Structure
This business, if well planned and managed can grow so well to an extent of accommodating related businesses like computer sales and computer parts sales, Computer training etc.
This business suits people with an entrepreneurial spirit the most. Members of the young age are also good for this business, although it can be handled by people of all ages – but not the aged!
The computer repair business market at present is not saturated in Nigeria. This is because at present Nigeria is not yet vast in Computer technology usage. But talking profitability, the business is highly profitable with good returns on investment.
There is an increasingly high demand for the computer repair business in Nigeria. The market outlook therefore includes anyone who has or uses a computer system and its peripherals.
This includes people who use computers domestically in their homes, offices, and those who deploy Computer and other ICT gadgets in sectors of such as banking and finance, agriculture, health, education, Security, Politics, Oil and etc.
Your target market also includes the entertainment industry, the academia, the business concern etc. With the constant breakdown of computers, the demand for computer technicians continues to rise daily. Instead of replacing them and buying new ones, most people find it cheaper to fix their computer systems.
Level of Competition
Being an area of business with abundant profits, it is good to note that, the level of competition in this business is high.
Your competitors include people already running this business and those just coming in. For any business, the more lucrative it becomes, the stiffer the level of competition. Same applies to computer repairs business.
Considering that a lot of Nigerians today have computer systems, and many more are willing to buy soon, there is a surety that this business has a high success potential. This is not likely to slow down anytime soon.
One thing that is good about this business is that it can be done and practiced at any time during the year. There are businesses that thrive at particular periods of the year.
These are season or event dependent. But computer repair business is not so. It is not restricted to any period of the year or season. You can even be making money from this business on a daily basis throughout the year.
People Already Into & Successful In Computer Repairs In Nigeria
Business Plan & Feasibility Study
You need a functional business plan to run this business successfully. This will give you a sneak peek into
1. The cost of machinery
2. The required working capital
3. The cost of tools and where to get them cheaper
4. The cost of computer spare parts, their peripherals and where to get them cheaper
5. The financial estimates of the business – long term & short term
6. The total capital involvement
7. The mission statement of your business and;
8. Your intended promotional or marketing strategy.
Computer repairs business does not need too much of registrations. Simply get a business name from the Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria (CAC) and you are good to go. That’s all.
Equipment & Tools
Some of the tools and equipment you need for this business includes but not limited to:
1. Flat-head screwdriver: This is used to tighten or loosen slotted screws.
2. Phillips-head screwdriver: Used to tighten or loosen cross-headed screws.
3. Torx screwdriver: Used to tighten or loosen screws that have a star-like depression on the top, a feature that is mainly found on laptops.
4. Hex driver: Used to tighten or loosen nuts in the same way that a screwdriver tightens or loosens screws (sometimes called a nut driver).
5. Needle-nose pliers: Used to hold small parts.
6. Wire cutters: Used to strip and cut wires.
7. Tweezers: Used to manipulate small parts.
8. Part retriever: Used to retrieve parts from locations that are too small for your hand to fit.
9. Flashlight: Used to light up areas that you cannot see well.
10. Wire stripper: A wire stripper is used to remove the insulation from a wire so that it can be twisted to other wires or crimped to connectors to make a cable.
11. Crimper: Used to attach connectors to wires.
12. Punch-down tool: Used to terminate wire into termination blocks. Some cable connectors must be connected to cables using a punch down tool.
Read Also: How To Start AC Repair Business In Nigeria
Internet Reference Tools
The Internet is embedded with a lot of tools for diagnosing specific hardware, software problems, and possible solutions:
1. Internet search engines
3. Manufacturer FAQs
4. Online computer manuals
5. Online forums and chat
6. Technical websites
Other Hardware Tools:
a. Straight-head screwdriver, large and small
b. Phillips-head screwdriver, large and small
c. Tweezers or part retriever
d. Needle-nosed pliers
e. Wire cutters
f. Chip extractor
g. Hex wrench set
h. Torx screwdriver
i. Nut driver, large and small
j. Three-claw component holder
k. Wire stripper
m. Punch-down tool
n. Digital multimeter
o. Wrap plugs
p. Small mirror
q. Small dust brush
r. Soft, lint-free cloth
s. Cable ties
u. Small flashlight
v. Electrical tape
w. Pencil or pen
x. Compressed air
Protection Software Tools
Attacks by viruses, spyware, malware, worms etc. can damage the operating systems, applications, and data. The resultant could be a malfunctioning of Computer hardware or software.
To ensure data protection and integrity of the operating system (OS), and computer hardware In general, many a software have been designed. This can either guard against attacks by these antibodies or remove them totally.
Various types of software protect hardware and data:
1. Windows 7 Action Center: This Checks the status of essential security settings. It continuously checks to ensure that the software firewall and antivirus programs are up and running. Windows 7 Action Center also makes sure that automatic updates in the PC download and install automatically and properly.
2. Antivirus program: This protects the computer against virus attacks.
3. Antispyware program: This protects the computer against software which sends information about web surfing habits to an attacker.
4. Window 7 Firewall: Runs continuously and consistently to protect the PC against unauthorized communications between your PC and a third party.
Knowledge & Training Required
Knowledge of computer repairs is required for this business. You may either undergo formal academic training where you offer Computer Engineering or Computer science as a course in School.
You can equally get this skill by undergoing an apprenticeship in a Computer repair shop for some time. This should last at least one year for you to be grounded in the work.
Aside from learning how to fix systems, you will also learn customer relations skills, how to scut for clients, maintain them, where to source for spare parts cheaper etc. Ensure that whoever is training you already masters the job and has enough experience.
Get A Good Business Locations
I will always keep stressing the idea of location. You would agree with me that for a business like this, your location is what would either make you or mar your success. So, while scouting for a location, get somewhere open, serene and with a high influx of traffic.
Finance And Capital Required
For this business, you don’t need so much to startup. The beauty of this business is that, once you are contracted, the money given to you by the customer can be used to work on that particular project for the main time and you can still get your full pay after the job has been completed. So, roughly at least to get a space and buy a few tools, N200, 000 should be enough.
Management: Promotional, Sustainability & Productivity Tips
You do not need any special advertisement for your business. Simply advertise using any of the conventional means and you will get clients. To sustain the business, always endeavor to keep your pricing moderate and respect clients’ interest.
For a start, you can manage the business yourself. But as the business expands, plan to get a few apprentices and staff. Ensure efficient division of labor among them and lead an exemplary leadership role.
Remain astute, innovative, and reach for the goal in spite of difficulties. Ensure the maintenance of an efficient communication system in your company.
Computer repairs business is a good business to invest in and learn. Your feasibility study will show all the areas of the business you should cover and how to avoid not making mistakes. Register the business and make sure you meet the requirements of the business as laid down by the authorities.
You may decide to employ a person or two to assist you with the increased workload as the business expands. When employing people make sure they are well experienced and can help you satisfy your customers and improve your business. Also, advertise your business to get customers from far and within.
I hope this article on how to start a Computer Repair Business In Nigeria met your need. Please do well to leave me a feedback or contribution to what you feel about it. Thank you.
Get more business insights HEREClick here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.
Click here to Join Recharge and Get Paid
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria