In this post, I will show you how to package chin-chin to make it ready for sale in the Nigerian market. Here, you will see how to use chin chin packaging machine to how to preserve chin chin.
This post acts like a feasibility study on chin chin production showing you how to make profit in chin chin business here in Nigeria. We have also reviewed chin chin machine Nigeria that you can use in your chin chin business plan.
Chin-chin is one of the most commonly consumed snacks in Nigeria, which is loved by many including little children who would often take it to school to eat during lunch breaks, and Adults during short breaks at work.
The ingredients can be sourced just anywhere including open markets, large food stores, supermarket, malls, etc. the common ingredients for making chin-chin are flour, sugar, milk and butter.
But overtime people have brought a twist into the ingredients to bring about uniqueness in the taste. It is one snack that you can prepare at the comfort of your home, it can even be prepared in local kitchens, it is not limited to space (with the exception of those preparing for commercial purpose).
Chin-chin is commonly shared in birthday parties, weddings, coronation ceremonies, festivals, love feast in churches, naming ceremonies, bridal and babies showers, virtually at any party held in Nigeria.
Another major reason chin-chin is loved by all is because it can stay for a very long time without losing its quality and taste, if you want to store your chin-chin for weeks, pour it into a large clean container with no room for air in it.
It is commonly found being sold at supermarkets, salons, road side retailers, at car parks, schools, church shops, cinemas etc. weather the chin-chin should be made crunchy or soft it should largely depend on the customers preference.
Read Also: How To Make Nigerian Chin-Chin
Materials needed for frying the chin-chin
1. Frying pan
2. Frying spoon or spatula
3. Electric cooker, gas or stove
4. Rolling pin
4. Chopping board (alternatively any clean flat surface)
Ingredients for making chin-chin
a. 300g of flour
b. 120g of caster sugar
c. A pinch of salt (1/8 table spoon)
d. A pinch of nutmeg
e. 1 whole egg
f. 70g of evaporated milk
g. 85ml of melted margarine
h. 1g of water
Procedure for making chin-chin
1. In a bowl add 300g of pure flour or all purpose flour.
2. Into the same bowl add 120g of caster sugar (or any other sugar of your choice)
3. Add a pinch of baking powder into the bowl as little as 1/8 table spoon
4. Add a pinch of nutmeg into the bowl and mix all the ingredients together until evenly distributed.
5. Create a well in the middle of the bowl which already contains the mixed ingredients and pour 1 whole egg into it.
6. Add 70ml of evaporated or any other milk of your choice into the centre of the bowl
7. Add 85ml of melted margarine or butter.
8. Add little water (1g) into the bowl containing the mixture.
9. Slowly mix the ingredients from the centre then gradually to the other parts.
10. After mixing the though properly set the dough aside.
Procedure on how to cut and fry the dough
a. Set the gas, electric cooker , stove etc to medium heat
b. Pour the oil (groundnut oil, soya oil, turkey oil, vegetable oil etc) into a frying pan and set on the fire, the oil should be half way filled on the pan and allow to heat for few minutes at medium temperature.
c. Spread some dry flower on a rolling surface and on a rolling stick, this is to avoid the dough being sticky (a cylindrically shaped bottle is used for rolling the dough locally in the absence of a rolling stick)
d. Place the dough on the flat surface and roll with a rolling stick until it is as flat as possible.
e. Use a cutter to cut the flat dough into desired shapes and sizes (you can use a pizza cutter for accuracy).
f. Transfer the already cut dough into the pan of oil on the fire at moderate heat (avoid congesting your oil with too much dough, make it sparse)
g. Allow the chin-chin to fry until golden brown for about 3 to 5 minutes. But avoid it getting burnt.
h. Pour the chin-chin into a clean bowl or flat surface to allow the chin-chin to cool down before sending it out for packaging.
Note: For commercial purpose it is very important to master perfection in frying the chin-chin from getting burnt as this might lead to great losses in business, because no customer will love to consume a burnt chin-chin.
The amount of egg and butter you add, affects how soft or crunchy the chin-chin will become. Always know your customers preference before making the dough.
In packaging of any product understanding the nature or type of the product weather edible or non-edible is very important as this will determine the type of packaging material that is used.
But in the case of the chin-chin, the type of packaging that is done is also determined by the type of market you are supplying to.
Read Also: How To Make Nigerian Cake
What to consider before going into any packaging business
1. Whether you want to go into a medium or large scale supply which will demand you getting a special brand name by registering with the Cooperate Affairs Commission (CAC).
2. What is your budget? the capital you are ready to put into the packaging business will determine how far your business will go.
3. If you intend to go into medium and large scale production and packaging of chin-chin are you ready to register with the appropriate authorities, a good example is National Agency for food and Drugs, Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and patiently wait for the NAFDAC reg number before proceeding with your business?
4. Do you have a good land space or the finance to acquire a land for starting the packaging business or if for a start you prefer to package from your home space, which will bring about limitation to the type of market you supply to.
5. Is there an available means of mobility to transport and distribute the packaged chin to customers and retail outlets based on demand?
6. The number of factory workers you will be needing for the business, which is directly proportional to the scale of the business. If you must package from your home in small scale worrying about factory workers will not be necessary.
How to package chin-chin for sale in Nigeria
Chin-chin can be packaged into plastic transparent containers of different shapes and sizes.
Chin-chin can also be packaged into transparent nylon bags and sealed
Chin-chin is locally packaged by tying specific measures into nylons and distributed locally.
The quality of the packaging material that is used in sealing the chin-chin determines how expensive the chin will be sold.
For industrial packaging of chin-chin an Automatic Namkeen Chin-Chin Microwave Mushroom Butterfly Popcorn Pouch Packing Machine is sold on Alibaba between $7,250 – 16, 000/ set.
But for small scale production a simple packaging machine is sold between $6000 to $8000.
1. Get a good means of mobility (a van, bus, pick-up, hilux etc) to help ease the distribution of your products to customers.
2. Get reliable distributors that can market your products to various retail outlets, open market, super market, food stores and malls.
3. To increase your customer base, after taking a feasibility study of the prices for which the chin-chin is sold similarly in market, offer to sell at a good discount. This will win customers to your side.
For start-ups, if you decide to invest N10, 000 into chin-chin production and packaging business then you can be sure of getting back a profit of extra N7000 to N8000 after removing the initial expenditure invested into the business.
Which also depends on the environment where the chin-chin is being sold. Maximum profit can be acquired in large scale production as the business grows over time.
Read Also: How to Produce Bread in Nigeria
To successfully package chin-chin for sale in Nigeria you have to understand how large you want to go but for start-ups, you don’t need to worry about factory workers, means of mobility, acquiring government registration, expensive packaging or large factory-sized space, and this is because you can make chin-chin at your home space, seal manually and distribute to retail outlet for sale and consumption within a short period.
But if you intend going on a large scale production then you need to put together all that was mentioned earlier.Click here to see the latest work from home jobs
Click here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.
Click here to Join Recharge and Get Paid
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria