IN this post, we will show you the requirements to get international passport in Nigeria. The Nigerian International Passport which is also called the Nigerian e-passport is an important travel document issued out to Nigerians who want to embark on international travel.
This document is issued by the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS), an agency of the Federal Government authorized to do so. The International passport together with other documents like the Visa is needed by any citizen willing to travel out of the country.
There are two types of the Nigerian International Passport and a citizen’s personality/purpose of travel will determine which will be issued out by the NIS.
There is the Standard e-passport (green cover) for which ordinary citizens can apply and the other is the official e-passport (blue cover) that is meant for a certain class of government officials and Nigerian diplomats.
The online application process is simple and straightforward and it is better to submit application documents quite a while before departure date.
The Nigerian Immigration Service only issues out electronic passports (e-passports) to new applicants currently.
The Following are Required to Obtain the Nigerian International Passport
For Adults (18 years and above):
1. Completed passport application form
2. Two recent passport-size photographs
3. Proof of payment ( Payment receipt or Acknowledgement slip).
4. Letter of Identification Card from Local Government/State of Origin (valid staff ID card attached).
5. Birth Certificate or Age Declaration document.
6. Completed Guarantor’s form (with photocopy of data page of Guarantor’s e-passport and one passport-size photograph of the Guarantor).
Note that the Guarantor’s form must be sworn to before either a Commissioner of Oaths, Magistrate or High Court Judge.
7. Marriage Certificate (if applicable).
8. Name Change Affidavit (if applicable).
For Minors (below 18 years of age):
1. Completed passport application form.
2. One passport-size photograph (signed on reverse side by consenting parents).
3. Birth Certificate.
4. Evidence of Nigerian Citizenship of parents.
5. Letter of consent from both parents (valid court if one parent is unavailable).
6. Proof of payment.
*Note that in the event that the child is adopted, a Court Order and Letter of Approval from State Ministry of Women and Child Development is required.
Online Procedure For Nigerian E-Passport Registration
1. Visit the Nigerian Immigration Service Portal (https://portal.immigration.gov.ng).
2. Locate and click “Apply” under the “APPLY FOR PASSPORT ONLINE” section.
3. Select the e-passport type and your processing country. The processing country is the country in which you wish to attend the interview.
4. Click the “Start Application” button.
5. Fill the application form correctly and print out a copy. Keep copy safe; it is a requirement at the place of interview.
6. The next step is payment. This can be done either online or at any recommended bank.
For the online payment:
7. Click on “Proceed to Online Payment” and select “Payment Currency” (either Naira or Dollar) and follow the instructions.
8. Once payment is done, the validation number will be given to you. Then proceed to the NIS portal to confirm your payment by clicking on the “Query your Application Payment Status” and follow the instructions.
9. You will be presented with your NIS e-receipt or Acknowledgment slip in a new window. You can now print out your payment receipt (proof of payment) or Acknowledge slip. Click on “Print” button to send copy to printer. Keep it safe as it is part of the requirements at the place of interview.
Please note very well:
Take printed and signed application form, Payment receipt and other requirements stated earlier to the Passport Office/Embassy/High Commission for further processing.
A Guarantor must attach these documents:
1. Photocopy of Data page of Nigerian Standard Passport and
2. Driving License or National Identity Card.
Also note that the 32-page Nigeria International Passport is usually issued out to leisure travellers or those who do not often go on international travels.
On the other hand, business travellers prefer the 64-page passport as they need to travel out on frequent international business trips.
Even a frequent leisure traveller should go for the 64-page passport so as to avoid constantly needing to apply for new passports.
The cost of the Nigerian International Passport varies according to the number of pages and the age category of applicant.
Cost of the 32-page Passport:
AGE 0-17:- 8,750 Naira (64 Dollars) Age 18-59:- 15,000 Naira (94 Dollars) AGE 60 and above:- 8,750 Naira (64 Dollars).
Cost of the 64-page Passport:
AGE 0-17:- 20,000 Naira (125 Dollars) Age 18-59:- 20,000 Naira (125 Dollars) AGE 60 and above:- 20,000 Naira (125Dollars);*
The address verification fee for all categories stands at 2,000 Naira for applicants in Nigeria.Click here to see the latest Jobs opportunities in Nigeria.
Click here to Join Recharge and Get Paid
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria