Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) job description: You will read about the job description and roles/responsibilities, and qualifications of a Licensed Practical Nurse. This article also discusses the Licensed Practical Nurse salary structure in USA.InformationGuideNigeria
Who is a Licensed Practical Nurse
A Licensed Practical Nurse is a trained healthcare provider who organizes and oversees patient care with consideration for the specific requirements of each patient. During the process of taking vital signs, they talk to patients, document their medical histories, and take notes on their current physical states, such as their blood pressure and temperature.
👉 Relocate to Canada Today!Live, Study and Work in Canada. No Payment is Required! Hurry Now click here to Apply >> Immigrate to Canada
Licensed practical nurses (LPNs) provide assistance to registered nurses and physicians by assisting patients with fundamental everyday activities like eating and moving around, in addition to performing checks on vital signs such as blood pressure and temperature.
LPNs are vital to the healthcare system because they provide fundamental nursing services in a wide range of clinical settings. Among a nurse’s regular responsibilities are taking patients’ vital signs, updating their medical records, and assisting patients with daily activities like bathing and getting dressed. LPNs, or licensed practical nurses, assist physicians and RNs in patient care.
Responsibilities of Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Patients should be monitored throughout their treatment.
- Perform routine vital sign checks on patients.
- Make certain that patients take their medication.
- Provide assistance to doctors and registered nurses.
- Communicate with patients’ family.
- Make an accurate record of a patient’s medical history.JAMB Result
- Take and record blood pressure, temperature, heart rate, and other data.
- Observe patients undergoing therapy to determine progress, drug adverse effects, and so forth.
- Compile patient charts and monitor patients’ conditions, including fluid intake and output.
- Assist unwell patients with daily routines such as eating, bathing, and so on.
- Administer injections, prescription drugs, enemas, and other similar procedures, as well as clean and dress wounds and aid with other basic medical care activities.
- Collect samples for laboratory testing as directed.
- When necessary, provide emotional and psychological assistance.
- Provide counsel, comfort, and release instructions to patients’ families or friends.
- Care for patients is organized and managed with consideration given to each individual patient’s need.
- Patients are questioned, and information about their medical history and current state of health is recorded.
- It is necessary to obtain the patient’s vital signs, which include their pulse, blood pressure, temperature, and breathing rate.10 Best Bluetooth Speakers in Nigeria and Prices
- Provides routine care for patients.
- Monitors the overall health of the patients.
- Performs a review of the medical charts.
- Assists patients in making their way to their rooms.
- Provides support to the medical staff and licensed nurses.
- Maintains communication with patients and the relatives of those patients.
- carries out conventional diagnostic procedures such as electrocardiograms, venipunctures, phlebotomies, pulmonary function tests, and Doppler scans.
- Prepares specimens for lab courier.
- Provides drug administration.
- Offers care for open wounds.
- Performs the preparation of injections and/or enemas and then gives them to the patient.
- Contributes to the patient’s sense of well-being.
- Keeping an eye on the catheters.
Roles of Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Basic patient health indicators, such as vital signs and overall condition, are monitored.
- Placing catheters or changing dressings
- Taking patient histories and keeping records
- Participating in tests or procedures
- Personal care, such as assisting with bathing and toileting
- Consultation with Registered Nurses on Care Plans
- Taking and monitoring vital signs of patients
- Providing assistance to patients with eating, dressing, and bathing
- Medication administration
- Notifying nurses, doctors, and family members of changes in patient behavior or health status
- Keeping accurate patient records
- Obtaining test samples as needed
- Participating actively in patient care planning
- Supervising and training Certified Nursing Assistants
- Getting patients ready for transfers or discharge
- Helping with medical procedures
- Managing Medical Emergency Situations
- Interviews the patient about current issues, medications, and allergies, and then checks the patient’s medical record for relevant historical and current information.
- Participates in the patient’s treatment plan, which includes medicine administration (under the supervision of a physician and a registered nurse).
- Under the guidance of an RN or MD, establishes and documents a patient’s treatment regimen and implements treatment.
- Administers and analyzes TB tests, as well as standard vaccines, nebulizer treatments, and visual acuity testing.10 Best Men’s shoes to buy in Nigeria and their Prices
- Assists with phlebotomy by identifying the patient, reviewing the requisition paperwork for the needed tests, and preparing the equipment, patient, and puncture site.
- Assists with IV set-up by validating the solution to be supplied, evaluating the infusion site, checking IV function and patient comfort, and ceasing IV as directed by the MD.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of exam room materials and prepares exam rooms at the start and end of the day, as well as between each patient encounter.
- Answers phones and takes messages, as well as does triage within the scope of licensed practical nursing practice in an accurate and timely way.
- Coordination of patient referrals is facilitated and assisted.
- Participates in new employee onboarding and training.
- Assisting patients with bathing and other regular hygiene activities
- Assisting patients with dressing, eating, and using the restroom
- Patients’ physical and mental health are monitored and assessed on a continuous basis.
- administering medications and injections, as well as maintaining detailed records of these activities
- Communicating with patients’ families about their condition and care
- Updating patient charts and keeping track of observations about their condition
- Communicating concerns to the medical team about the patient’s overall health, treatment, and so on.
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) qualifications / skills
- Proven experience as an LPN or in a related role
- Capability to perform a wide range of care duties and work as part of a multidisciplinary teamJAMB Portal
- Knowledge of hospital health, safety, and sanitation policies and procedures
- Understanding of confidentiality duties and acceptable practices in nursing
- Outstanding understanding of medical and hospital terminology
- MS Office and data entry skills are required.
- Excellent physical fitness and stamina
- Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities
- Compassionate and capable of dealing with stress
- A successful completion of the LPN license program is required.
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Salary Structure in USA
In the United States, what salary can one expect to receive when working as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)? As of the 27th of October in 2022, the normal compensation range for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) in the United States is between $46,500 and $57,000, with the average wage coming in at $51,300. There are a number of essential aspects that can have a significant impact on salary ranges, including education level, professional certifications, supplementary talents, and length of time spent working in a given profession.NYSC Portal
This article has gone into great detail about what a Licensed Practical Nurse does. If you are certain that this is the career for you, you can choose whether to work in this industry. Please feel free to ask any questions in the comment section if you have any.
Check JAMB Result
Check and Confirm: How much is Dollar to Naira
👉 Relocate to Canada Today!
Live, Study and Work in Canada. No Payment is Required! Hurry Now click here to Apply >> Immigrate to Canada
Information is Power!
Don’t miss any valuable information or opportunity that can change your life, business, and family positively and permanently.
👍Advertise your business on InfoGuideNigeria.com!
From just N9,999 per month, you can advertise your products and services to over 1,500,000 monthly users on our website. Click here to read more.
Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, or redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment.
Proper acknowledgment includes, but not limited to (a) LINK BACK TO THE ARTICLE in the case of re-publication on online media, (b) Proper referencing in the case of usage in research, magazine, brochure, or academic purposes,.
All contents are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).
We publish all content with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, please contact us for immediate removal.
🤑 Start Making Money from home today!