Here in this post, you are going to learn the step by step guide on how to start an underwears business in Nigeria. This information will be vital to those who are looking for a detailed guide on how to start this business.
We all have what we call undergarments or underwear, or what some may like to call boxers for men, lingerie and bras for women.GuidG
Many people do not know that this could be a business for most people who care to know or want to do something worthwhile.
Many people do purchase a lot of boxers and lingerie, just as they please, this may be for their own wearing pleasure, to attract or for seduction (you understand).
Now people buy this boxers or lingerie maybe every two weeks or monthly, just to change them, People love to look attractive to their partners in their underwear, some guys love to be comfortable in only boxers which gives room for leg movement, whatever the reason or motive is, people will love to get some new pair of boxers, lingerie, bra etc.
Have you ever thought this business and said to yourself that this kind of business may not work? It happens sometimes, but let me reassure you that you can get into this and earn a living from it and within years you could turn out to be a popular company name.
Lots of Nigerians prefer to go with the popular designers and names like PerryCole, BYC, Victoria’s Secret and Calvin Klein, we also have those that prefer Nigerian made underwear (especially boxers) because they are cheap or they are more comfortable.
We do not have any major brands or names of Nigerians who go into this business, but you could decide to be one who will take a step and make yourself a brand, by starting small and making yourself a famous name by your packaging and brand.
Is There a Market I Can Tap Into?
Now you may be wondering if there is an opportunity for you in this market. But the truth is there is! Just start and you will see yourself succeeding, for the fact that people do change their boxers on a basis, you could earn a reputation for yourself by hustling for your customers and after sometime, you will see customers hustling for your product so far as you have good quality and do not reduce your quality.
When going into this business, your target should be almost everybody, because everyone wears underwear. Depending on your packaging you could get some good sales if marketed very well.
Competition will be there also because you are not the only one selling; even bigger producers are involved in the business, so you just have to try to make your way into the market and prepare to stay.
Read Also: 10 Best Pant Trousers For Ladies On Jumia
How to Start
1. You need to know a thing or two about packaging because this will enable you sell better and gain customers. People do go for attractive wears, so you have to know about the best quality fabrics for sewing boxers if you want to get boxers, also you should try to know what women love to wear underneath. Like most women do prefer bras or pants made from cotton, so you have to get the best quality of cotton.
2. Then you source for your raw materials if you will be sewing some of them, you will have to go to Lagos or Aba to get your Materials for sewing and also get a good tailor who would sew for you at a reasonable price.
Then also getting quality singlet, bras, lingerie for women and all the rest, you should choose a supplier that has good quality products cause this would affect you later in business if you do not sell quality products, your customers will shift from you just immediately as you started.
3. Do you really need any equipment? Yes you may need if you want to create your own brand of boxers or singlet for guys especially, ladies prefer to go with designer names, so when your boxers or singlet have been sewn, you can the brand them with your own name or logo either by sewing it or printing it on the fabric, this is another way to make your business popular, so far as your product is good, you will receive patronage.
You will need a sealing machine and some clothing bags or nylon for packaging of your products, no one will underrate tour product when they see how carefully packaged it is, they would prefer to buy yours which is packaged and labelled at an affordable price than any other one around.
Also try to get a shop space where you can display your products, even though you can start from the comfort of your home, that is why it is better to have a shop space so people can come to buy from you, this also portrays you as a big dealer, and not just someone hustling. That is why packaging is essential.
Read Also: 10 Best Tops To Wear With Palazzo Pants
* There are no much technological attachments needed for this business. It is just a simple business with little stress.
* When choosing a location, try not to get somewhere in a remote area, no one will hear about you or know your product, take somewhere that is close to the student environment or close to where working class people are, this will enable them reach you comfortably without bothering about distance, people do love where they can just walk into or drive for a short while just to get something quickly.
* Funding of this business will not be so burdensome, with about #300,000 you could start in a big way and everyone will believe you are a company that just started up with the selling of underwear.
If you do not have such amount, you could start small which would mean extra work on marketing. If you do not have the money, you could apply for soft loans from cooperative societies or banks which will give you a flexible time to be able to pay back.
This is actually a one-man business which you can run on your own, though later on you will need some extra hands like the shop attendant or sales boy or girl. It won’t require much staffing.
If you want this business to grow faster than you can imagine, go out and get customers for yourself, got to banks, companies, major corporations, give them your complimentary card, show them a catalogue, have pictures of your goods at your reach so they can see what they want.
Read Also: 4 Reasons Women Should Dress Decently
Package your goods very well, learn to make it attractive to the eye, learn how to display your goods at the office so it can attract customers.
Give out discounts on bulk purchases, give out promo prices, this will encourage them more to come.
I believe you see the light in this business and venture into it and make yourself a brand in years to come.
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria