In this post, we will be discussing how to produce bleach in Nigeria. Aspiring bleach producers can use this article as a guide.
Bleach is defined as a strong chemical liquid used to kill harmful bacteria and to remove stains from clothes. Bleach is also used to make coloured things white, the process is basically achieved through the process of oxidation. Because of this, bleach is an important household product in Nigeria.
It is used to remove stains from clothes and fabrics during washing. It is also an important disinfectant in most Nigerian homes. It is used to clean and disinfect toilet bowls, floors, tables, kitchen cabinets, plates, clothes and fabrics. Because of its ability to kill germs, it has bactericidal and bacteriologic powers.
It is easy to store in most homes. In terms of production, it’s raw materials are common and can be procured easily from markets.
Bleach is easy to make and little capital is required to start producing bleach. Hence, the profit potential of bleach making enterprise is enormous. It is recommended and approved by NAFDAC and other health organizations in Nigeria.
Profitability of Producing Bleach in Nigeria
Producing bleach is very profitable in Nigeria. You can make a profit of #300,000 on one carton of bleach sold to customers in a day. You can also make a profit of #3,000,000 from the sale of bleach every month.
The market for bleach is wide, expanding and sustainable. It has applications in the paper industry, food industry, water industry, chemical and pharmaceutical industries.
Amount of Money Needed for the Investments
For small scale bleach production enterprise, you need between 50 thousand Naira and 100 thousand Naira as the required starting capital. You don’t need specialized equipment for small scale bleach production enterprise.
For commercial scale bleach production enterprise, you need at least 7 million Naira as the required starting capital. This will be used to provide the start up production plant which would include sodium hypochlorite plant, fork lift, transformer, generator, project vehicles, weigh bridge, sodium hypochlorite tank and diesel tank.
Tools/Materials/Ingredients Needed and Where to Get Them
The ingredients needed to produce bleach are water, chlorine, caustic soda, soda ash, foaming agent, perfume. The tools required are mixer, weighing scale, filter, measuring cylinder, containers, chlorine tank, transformer, generator, project vehicle, weigh bridge and diesel tank.
The chemical ingredients could be purchased from chemical sales outlets and on the internet. The production equipment could be purchased from dealers selling industrial production machines.
Step-by-Step Process of Production:
- Small Scale Bleach Production
- Pour 800 litres of water into a container.
- Add 250grams of chlorine to water in the container.
- Add 250grams of foaming agent to the chlorine solution in the bowl.
- Add programs of caustic soda crystals to the solution.
- Add programs of soda ash to the solution
- Stir to allow the mixture mix properly to firm a homogeneous solution.
- Leave the mixture and allow the constituents to react for 3hours.
- After 3hours, filter the solution properly.
- After filtering the mixture, add perfume.
- Pour into containers for storage and delivery to customers.
Cleaning Bleach is used for cleaning surfaces in the home. It is made by mixing hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice, citric acid, water and lemon essential oil. The hydrogen peroxide used is the 3% solution.
- Pour water into a container.
- Add 2cups of hydrogen peroxide to water.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the solution.
- Alternatively ,add half spoon of citric acid to the solution.
- Stir the solution properly
- Add 10 cups of lemon essential oil to the solution.
- Stir the solution to mix thoroughly.
- Allow the solution to settle for some time.
- Pour the solution into dark bottles. This is to prevent the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide.
The materials used for producing cleaning bleach are also used for producing laundry bleach.
- Pour half cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide into water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the solution.
- Add three one-quarter cups of water to the solution.
- Add 5 drops of lemon oil to the solution.
- Stir all ingredients to mix thoroughly.
- Allow the stirred solution to settle for some time.
- Pour the solution into bottles and containers.
Commercial Production of Bleach
Bleach is prepared commercially by reacting dilute caustic soda solution with either liquid chlorine or gaseous chlorine. After reacting them, they are allowed to cool down for further processes they would go through.
- Caustic Soda
Note that the raw materials are mixed together in a process called electrolysis.
The production process is explained below:
- Preparation of the constituents
25% caustic soda is used. It is prepared by diluting 50% concentrated caustic soda solution to get 25% solution.
- Chemical reaction between the reactants
This is done by reacting caustic soda with chlorine to form sodium hypochlorite bleach. Liquid or gaseous chlorine is circulated through the caustic soda solution during electrolysis.
3. Cooling and purifying the solution
The sodium hypochlorite formed is allowed to cool. Allowing it to cool prevents its decomposition. After allowing the sodium hypochlorite formed to cool, the mixture is then filtered to remove impurities which can change its colour or aid its decomposition.
The final sodium hypochlorite bleach is poured into bottles in a bottling plant.
Read Also: How to Produce Detergent and Sell in Nigeria
The following points must be noted when packaging bleach.
- Package bleach in small bottles to ensure affordability for customers.
- Ensure that you package bleach into thick opaque bottles. This ensures its prolonged chemical stability.
- Package bleach using unique bottles and containers.
- Package bleach in plastic bottles and containers that are environmental friendly and biodegradable.
- You can market bleach by selling directly to wholesalers and retailers around you.
- You can used media houses to market bleach.
- You can also market bleach through sales representatives all over the country.
- You can market bleach using the internet.
Bleach Production enterprise is easy to start and very profitable. The raw materials for producing it can be sourced from the immediate environment, The cost implication for small scale bleach production enterprise is also low. Dear reader, you can read this article as a guide to start producing your own bleach. You will definitely not be disappointed for doing so.
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria