Here in this post, we are going to give you guidelines on how to get special plate number in Nigeria. We hope you find this informative.
Getting a special plate number in Nigeria is not as difficult as it is perceived. A lot of people feel that it is only celebrities and highly placed people that are allowed to put a special plate number on their vehicle.
Such mentality belong to the past because anyone with enough money can apply and be granted the privilege of a special plate number.
Read Also: How to Check Plate Number Owner in Nigeria
Special plate numbers in Nigeria is a customary way by which people with influence and plenty wealth announce themselves in public especially on the highway. Any person is allowed to receive a Special Plate Number so long as you have the cash to pay for it.
Notwithstanding these facts, one would need to offer certain important documents to the right authorities when registering for a special plate number.
Whence the interest to acquire a Personal Number Plate (as it is also called), one is required to prepare these documents and make them available to the required licensing officer.
1. Two (2) passport photographs of owner of the vehicle
2. Identification document of applicant
3. Shipping documents (customs card, bill of laden) in cases where the vehicle has been shipped into the country;
4. An attestation letter and the receipt of your vehicle are needed
5. Payment receipts for Registration Fees, Number Plate, Vehicle License, Weighing and Registration.
When these documents have been sorted out and you are ready to process your special plane number. You will be required to do some on-line registrations before moving ahead to a licensing office.
Read Also: Cost Of Customized Plate Number in Nigeria
The Steps That You Will Take Are Listed Below For Your Convenience
1. You are required to register your vehicle with the Federal Road Safety Commission
The registration is done on their website. If you haven’t yet registered your vehicle, visit their website through this link: http://www.nvisng.org.
Right in the site you will be given a form to fill out. When you are done filling out the form scroll up to check for any minor omissions and mistakes to make sure that your form is accurately and correctly filled.
Next you will see a preview button which you must click to move on to the next page. Make you to strictly follow the instructions provided on the website to guarantee a successful registration.
When you are done and satisfied that your registration is complete you can now go ahead to the next step of the process.
2. After registering your vehicle on the Federal Road Safety Commission’s website, take a trip to any of the licence office of the Federal Road Safety Commission spread across different parts of the Nation
Take along with you a support document which must contain a written for a private number and clearly stating the special number you wish to use for your vehicle.
Many Licensing offices can be found in every state of the nation.
The Location & Contact Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Office is
No. 3 Maputo Street.
Zone 3, Wuse, Abuja, Nigeria
Telephone No.: 122 (Emergency toll-free line)
0700 2255 3772
0807- 769 0362 (Text Messages Only)
3. Once your document reaches the licensing officer, he then screens it to check for correctness and is to also access the required contents. After confirming the content and approving them, there are sent over to the issuing authority for proper verification.
4. At the licensing office, you will be required to get a special number request form. You are expected to fill out this form by inputting all your necessary details. You will also pay some required charges.
Note that it is at this point that you make payments for the request form, the registration, number plate, weighing, and registration fee and for the vehicle licensing.
5. When you have finished filling the form, return it to the attending officer
You are expected to hand over the form along with the receipts of all the payments that you made earlier in the licensing office.
6. Your documents will then be processed within few minutes and a special plate is then handed over to you along with the necessary documents backing the special plate number.
Importance of a Special Plate Number
1. The special plate number aids in the proper identification of a person’s vehicle.
2. The process ensures that all vehicles in Nigeria are registered.
3. Owners of cars with special plate numbers are deterred from committing crimes because they know that their vehicles will be easily spotted.
Read Also: 6 Steps to Apply for Plate Number in Nigeria
A special plate number is also known as a personalized number plate. It is a type of plate number that is designed according to the specification of a car owner.
Some special plate numbers owned by most Nigerians have their names written on it, the name of their company, a title, a word, phase, and so forth on it. Whatever you wish to put on a special plate number is allowed.
Kings, celebrities, newlyweds, highly placed people, popular political figures, security forces like the police, military, and so on are usually associated with the use of this special plate numbers in Nigeria.
In Nigeria, these special plate number are known as Out-of-Series number plates and it is one of the special duties of the Federal Road Safety Commission and the Joint Tax Board (JTBl) to issue out the plate numbers.
Everyone is eligible and can be entitled to have a special plate number for his or her own vehicle provided you have all the required documents and own a car.
Most people are of the idea or opinion that having a special plate number on one’s car can be very dangerous. This they defend by saying that this plate number attract the wrong attention to you. Criminals will see you as an exposed target and feel you have the kind of money they are looking for.
Nevertheless, if you love it, then go for it, so long as you can afford it and as long as it makes you happy.IMPORTANT!: Follow us on Instagram @InfoGuideNigeria
Click here to Read Latest School News in Nigeria